Vista boot failure RRS feed

• Question

• Here's the deal - I was installing new ram (my system had been started hanging and the other day I started getting beep codes of death, I pulled one stick out and that solved the problem so...)

I put in the new ram, system booted up, but hung at "boot disk failure, insert boot disk" something to that effect.

Now, the bios recognizes the drive just fine, I checked the boot order it's not a problem there. I booted up in knoppix and it has no problem mounting the drive and letting me move files off of the drive (thank god)

BUT, when I put the vista home premium CD in and boot from that it loads files, I click repair computer and it opens a dialog box asking me to select the operating system I want to repair, something to that effect but nothing appears, if I simply skip that screen it recognizes my 2nd hard drive, but not my c drive.

So does anyone have thoughts about what I should be doing? Suggestions would be appreciated. I've read about bootrec commands, but if the vista boot disk doesn't recognize the drive I'm not sure how to make it.
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 1:45 AM

All replies

• Hi, Please go to bios and change the harddisk order move the 2nd drive in list to top to boot first. save then restart computer. If it does not work switch back. Slan go foill, Paul 
    • Proposed as answer by artiste1 Saturday, October 17, 2009 11:16 AM
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 1:24 PM
  • Try cloning the hard disk that your Windows Vista was installed on to a test hard disk.  Once done unplug the original hard disk and try booting from the test hard disk or boot from the Vista DVD and see if it can see your Windows installation.

Regards,
    J
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 3:01 PM
  • changin the boot order fixed the problem, so thank you thank you thank you. I'm a little befuddled as to why, can you offer any insight? I mean, ultimately I guess I don't care, but it's got me scratching my head.
    Friday, October 16, 2009 8:05 PM
  • Hi, Sometimes when the computer does not boot properly modern motherboard reset the bios boot orders. Which seems to have happened in your case. Slan go foill, Paul
    Saturday, October 17, 2009 11:15 AM