Windows vista gives me Stop 0x0000007B after first restart RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I'm new here and I have to say I've been pulling my HAIR out all morning over this.

I've had an upgrade copy of vista business for about a year.  bought it a year ago but didn't feel like I was ready to give up on XP yet.  I finally decided this morning I'd go ahead and do it and to start I first did a compatibility check on MS's website.  Everything checked up good except for a few minor things, ie my printer wasn't supported with MS's drivers, and some useless programs I never use, ie viewpoint media player, windows messenger weren't compatible.  So I went ahead and went with the upgrade.

I went ahead and went to my computer and double clicked on the DVD-rom drive.  Things went smooth through windows.  Then It restarted to finish the installation.  I am greeted with a menu that says "windows setup" and "previous version of windows".  I click on windows setup.  The windows loading screen pops up.  about 10 seconds later BAM blue screen of death with the stop error. 

So all morning I've been pulling my hair out over it.  I've been googling, and googleing and googling, I've flashed my bios 5 times, I've uninstalled my anti-virus, and the other programs that were incompatible, unplugged the printer, booted with the vista cd and tried to have it fix the startup problem.  But no matter what I try, I still get the error.  And no one on Google seems to have the answer.  Only thing I can come to the conclusion of is it doesn't like the hard drive controller, which is why I flashed the bios, and also why I've searched all over the place for a Jmicron Sata2 driver, and have come up dry

Here is my system specs

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Clawhammer core
    Asrock 939 Dual-sata2 motherboard
    EVGA Nvidia Geforce 7300GT 256MB video card
    Western Digital 500GB Sata2 hard drive
    Sound Blaster Audigy SE sound card

If I could get ANY ANY help at all it would be appreciated.  Whats worse is while I can still use XP I now have a stupid start up menu at the beginning
    Saturday, May 31, 2008 3:29 PM

Answers

•  

Hi,

Before moving on, please understand that upgrading from Windows XP to Windows Vista will sometimes cause driver and incompatible third-party software issues. In the previous installation (Windows XP), many registry settings have been modified when installing third-party software. During an upgrade, these registry entries are retained, which can cause system issues after upgrading. Therefore, an upgrade install is only recommended for systems that have a simple and clean software environment. (A clean environment means a system with few third-party programs and un-signed hardware drivers installed.)

Based on the current situation, I suggest performing a Clean Install of Windows Vista.

Please back up your important files, format the drive and then refer to the following article to perform a Clean Install.

http://vistarewired.com/2007/02/28/perform-a-clean-install-with-a-vista-upgrade-disc

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Monday, June 2, 2008 5:39 AM

All replies

• Anyone? 
    Sunday, June 1, 2008 2:29 AM
  •  

Hi,

Before moving on, please understand that upgrading from Windows XP to Windows Vista will sometimes cause driver and incompatible third-party software issues. In the previous installation (Windows XP), many registry settings have been modified when installing third-party software. During an upgrade, these registry entries are retained, which can cause system issues after upgrading. Therefore, an upgrade install is only recommended for systems that have a simple and clean software environment. (A clean environment means a system with few third-party programs and un-signed hardware drivers installed.)

Based on the current situation, I suggest performing a Clean Install of Windows Vista.

Please back up your important files, format the drive and then refer to the following article to perform a Clean Install.

http://vistarewired.com/2007/02/28/perform-a-clean-install-with-a-vista-upgrade-disc

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Monday, June 2, 2008 5:39 AM