How to edit Parse Items? RRS feed

• Question

• I can't seem to find a way to edit the default set of Parse Items in the 4.6 SP1 sequencer.  It looks like it's been intentionally locked down, whereas I'm pretty sure I remember being able to edit them in previous versions.  Either way, I'd like to find a way to do it.

I feel like I might be on the right track by editing a saved template (.sprt) file and adding a <SUBSTITUTION>entry under <PARSERITEMS>.  However, I'm not sure of the syntax since there aren't any other <SUBSTITUTION> entries in the file.  I assume this is the right way to go about doing though, since the message you get when you save a template specifically states that Parse Items (in addition to Exclusion Items) are saved in the template.

Any ideas on how to go about doing this?  I wish I could look at an old default.sprj file from the 4.5 sequencer, as I think Parse Items are included in that...

Saturday, January 5, 2013 1:33 AM

Answers

• Hi Sanchez.

You are right about that! I was also asking myself the same thing when I saw it in the save template dialog box, but obviously it's probably a misleading message as the Parse Items are the same for all the templates and they are for viewing only and not for editing.

BTW! the message was changed on App-V Sequencer 5.0... but not on 4.6 SP2 :)

good luck

Tamir Levy

• Marked as answer by S_Sanchez Tuesday, January 15, 2013 3:59 PM
    Tuesday, January 15, 2013 6:45 AM

All replies

• Hello,

As far as i know - there isn't any support to edit parse items

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Saturday, January 5, 2013 9:10 AM
  • Hello,

There is no such option.

Monday, January 7, 2013 5:22 AM
  • Ok, so the message you get when you save a template stating that it will save parse items is incorrect?
    Monday, January 14, 2013 10:00 PM
  • Hi Sanchez.

You are right about that! I was also asking myself the same thing when I saw it in the save template dialog box, but obviously it's probably a misleading message as the Parse Items are the same for all the templates and they are for viewing only and not for editing.

BTW! the message was changed on App-V Sequencer 5.0... but not on 4.6 SP2 :)

good luck

Tamir Levy

• Marked as answer by S_Sanchez Tuesday, January 15, 2013 3:59 PM
    Tuesday, January 15, 2013 6:45 AM
  • Hello all,

Can you please let me know what is the purpose of using  <PARSEITEMS> inside OSD?

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 6:30 AM
  • Hi Pavan,

from my personal knowledge, in the past (When it was still softgrid version. less than 4.5) it was used and you could add PARSE ITEMS in OSDs.

but from 4.5 and above, eventhough this option exists in the Sequerncer - the clients ignore it completely.

Tamir Levy

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 7:41 AM
  • Hi Pavan,

the PARSEITEM element would allow you to override certain detailed virtualizations.
    See more details on Tim Mangans OSD Illustrated.

/vkleinerde

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 8:00 AM
  • @ Tamir Levy : Thanks for the update even i thought the same.

@ vkleinerde : OSD Illustrated shows how to use it but never mentions why and when we have to use it.

Thursday, January 17, 2013 4:52 AM