Unable to delete a Unsealed management pack RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have a very strange error. I want to delete a unsealed management pack. Weh i do so it gives me this error "  The user DOMAINNAME\Username does not have sufficient permission to perform the operation. I am a member of the SCOM Administrator group. I rebooted the server and I tried as well as deleting the management using the SCOM action accounts but still it gives me the same error. Below are the screenshots and full error. Can anyone please help me.

Full content of the error:
    ======================

Note:  The following information was gathered when the operation was attempted.  The information may appear cryptic but provides context for the error.  The application will continue to run.

Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Common.UnauthorizedAccessMonitoringException: The user DOMAINNAME\Username does not have sufficient permission to perform the operation.
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.DataAbstractionLayer.SdkDataAbstractionLayer.HandleIndigoExceptions(Exception ex)
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.DataAbstractionLayer.TypeSpaceOperations.UninstallManagementPack(Guid managementPackId, ManagementGroup managementGroup)
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ManagementGroup.UninstallManagementPack(ManagementPack managementPack)
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Mom.Internal.UI.Common.SDKHelper.<>c__DisplayClasse6.<UnInstallManagementPack>b__e5(Object , ConsoleJobEventArgs )
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Mom.Internal.UI.Console.ConsoleJobExceptionHandler.ExecuteJob(IComponent component, EventHandler`1 job, Object sender, ConsoleJobEventArgs args)

Screenshot:
    ==================

Gautam.75801

Monday, July 28, 2014 6:24 PM

Answers

• Hi Gautam,

Based on my knowledge this MP cannot be deleted as it holds all the alert subscriptions you create on SCOM. If this MP is deleted manually deleted you would lose all the created subscriptions hence SCOM dose not allow you to do that.

However you can export this MP and edit this MP and re-import it, which will replace the old one and you can see all the changes what you have done. 

Thursday, September 4, 2014 4:34 PM
  • Hi Chandan,

You are right. This MP is used to store the Alert notifications and cannot be deleted. I exported the management pack and saw that the MP had all the subscription details i had setup in my environment. So as you said guess that SCOM by default does not allow to delete this management pack as it may cause some damage or some thing. How ever i can export and make changes as necessary and re import (Which will eventually overwrite the management pack).

So in a nutshell - This management Notification internal library MP by default cannot be deleted in SCOM 2007 R2 Even if you are a SCOM Admin. How ever you will be able to delete this in SCOM 2012 R2 as i tested. Once it is deleted your subscriptions are also deleted. Not sure why MS allows to delete the same in SCOM 2012 R2.

Gautam.75801

Thursday, September 4, 2014 6:32 PM

All replies

• Is your user account part of any other roles ?

Are you using the console on your workstation or on the server ?

--Pranav

Monday, July 28, 2014 11:07 PM
  • Hi Pranav,

My personal account which is a part of a scom admin role is a part of multiple security groups. Where as the SCOM action (Which is a domain account) account is just a part of Domain admins and Administrator group.

Gautam.75801

Tuesday, July 29, 2014 7:00 AM
  • I was going to suggest PS, but I see you have SCOM 2007 R2. Maybe one of the old Cmdlets can do it. Also, can you try with another account that is also an SCOM Administrator? Any other admin operations work fine? Can you import a new MP? Is it the only MP you can't remove?

Jose

MCITP, MCSE, MCTS

Tuesday, July 29, 2014 1:29 PM
  • Hi Jose,

Yes i am not able to delete a particular management pack from SCOM 2007 R2. As i said earlier in the above thread, I tried deleting it using my user account which is a part of the SCOM Administrator group. As well as tried using the SCOM Action account but still no luck. 

Gautam.75801

Tuesday, July 29, 2014 3:12 PM
  • Hi,

This issue maybe caused by that you have created some objects in the default management pack.

It is a widely known best practice to NOT write any custom rules, monitors, groups, views, or overrides to the default management pack MP.  If you save things here by accident, the main problem with doing so.... is that we will build a dependency for this MP on any MP it references.... and therefore we wont ever be able to delete those management packs, until we clean this Default MP up, and start enforcing best practices.

Please go through the below similar thread for more details:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/systemcenter/en-US/508dc39b-beda-4f83-91d6-22642d074df2/the-user-does-not-have-sufficient-permissions-to-perform-the-operation?forum=operationsmanagergeneral

Regards,

Yan Li

Regards, Yan Li

Wednesday, July 30, 2014 6:03 AM
  • Verify from following:

1. This management pack isn't use in notification.
    2. Ensure user have permission on data warehouse to can delete it.

Or use Account that you setup Operation Manager with it or User who create this Management Pack to delete this Management Pack.

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote As Helpful" and if it answered your question, please click "Mark As Answer" Mai Ali | My blog: Technical | Twitter: Mai Ali

Wednesday, July 30, 2014 9:55 AM
  • Hi Mai Ali,

I did delete try to delete the management pack using the SCOM Action account and this error came.
    I am trying to to delete this management pack which is unsealed. Below is the screen shot of the management pack what i am talking about.

Gautam.75801

Thursday, July 31, 2014 6:26 AM
  • Hi Gautam, I couldn't test it yet but this is an internal SCOM MP where your notifications configuration is stored. Even if I could I wouldn't delete if not for a good reason. Why do you want to delete it? Jose

MCITP, MCSE, MCTS

Thursday, July 31, 2014 11:33 AM
  • Hi Jose,

Thank you for the follow up. We have certain custom management packs made for our environment for which there are some dependencies  needed. The dependency is already added but it is the latest version. Where as our custom made management pack needs the same dependent management pack but not that version it needs a lower version. So for this i need to delete that management pack (The notification one which you are pointing to) as the management pack which is dependent on my custom made  management pack is dependent on this management pack which i am not able to delete. 

Gautam.75801

Thursday, July 31, 2014 2:40 PM
  • Hi Gautam, I got a bit confused with your description, but one thing I think I got: you have a dependency IN the notification MP that refers to the MP you want to delete, hence, you can't delete your custom MP.

Well, I was able to delete my notification MP in my SCOM 2012, so, that is not a restriction (I exported it before) :) If you need to remove a dependency without deleting the MP, you can also export the MP, edit the XML (remove the offending reference) and re-import it. Is that something that would work for you?

I'm sorry if I didn't get your situation exactly...

Jose

MCITP, MCSE, MCTS

Thursday, July 31, 2014 2:54 PM
  • Hi Jose,

You are correct. But there are some custom made management packs which are unsealed which i can edit as you said and there are few which have been sealed in (.MP extension) so i cannot edit them. So whats next ??.

But the main concern is to delete this management pack. So what is the solution for my error?

Gautam.75801

Thursday, July 31, 2014 3:46 PM
  • Ok, Gautam. Back to the error, you mentioned the action account is part of Administrators and Domain admins (I wonder why, usually not necessary, but irrelevant for now). Is it part of the SCOM admins role as well?

What are the actual members (groups) in the SCOM administrator roles? Make sure the groups in there have your account. You can try adding another account and use it to remove the MP. I wonder because usually if you try to delete an MP that has a reference, it will tell you exactly that, not give you permissions error.

Also, are you experiencing any of the issues Yan Li mentions, with the DW SQL accounts?

Thank you

Jose

MCITP, MCSE, MCTS

Thursday, July 31, 2014 4:01 PM
  • Jose,

Now issues with reference to data warehouse. The members of the action account are as follows
    Administrator (Domain built in)
    Domain admins
    Schema admins
    Enterprise admins
    SCOM Admins (Custom created security group for SCOM users)

The reason for Administrator membership in Action account  is because to perform various tasks so there is no permission issue when we perform tasks so.

My account has the same permissions as the SCOM action account stated above.

Gautam.75801

Thursday, July 31, 2014 5:38 PM
  • Hi Guys,

Any update or suggestion on this issue ?

Gautam.75801

Monday, August 11, 2014 4:38 PM
  • Hi Gautam,

Based on my knowledge this MP cannot be deleted as it holds all the alert subscriptions you create on SCOM. If this MP is deleted manually deleted you would lose all the created subscriptions hence SCOM dose not allow you to do that.

However you can export this MP and edit this MP and re-import it, which will replace the old one and you can see all the changes what you have done. 

Thursday, September 4, 2014 4:34 PM
  • Hi Chandan,

You are right. This MP is used to store the Alert notifications and cannot be deleted. I exported the management pack and saw that the MP had all the subscription details i had setup in my environment. So as you said guess that SCOM by default does not allow to delete this management pack as it may cause some damage or some thing. How ever i can export and make changes as necessary and re import (Which will eventually overwrite the management pack).

So in a nutshell - This management Notification internal library MP by default cannot be deleted in SCOM 2007 R2 Even if you are a SCOM Admin. How ever you will be able to delete this in SCOM 2012 R2 as i tested. Once it is deleted your subscriptions are also deleted. Not sure why MS allows to delete the same in SCOM 2012 R2.

Gautam.75801

Thursday, September 4, 2014 6:32 PM