none
windows server 2016 oem, how do i get the key?

Question

• I bought a pc without os installed, then bought an oem server license, where do I get the activation key from?

Friday, December 29, 2017 3:16 AM

All replies

• Hi Robo_ratskin.

If you're talking about a Windows Server OEM license, I suggest you to ask this question in the Windows Server General Forum, which is more appropriate for this kind of topics.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno
    MCP, MCTS, MOS, MTA

Sunday, December 31, 2017 4:33 PM
  • Hi Robo,

If it's OEM license, you need use the installation media OEM provided to install and it will auto-activate.

Generally,

1. If you bought a computer with Windows preinstalled there should be a Certificate of Authenticity (COA) sticker somewhere on your computer, on some laptops. It will have a 25 character alphanumeric code on it - that is your product key. If it's not on your computer look in your paperwork or on any CD/DVD cases that were included with the computer.

2.  If you bought a retail copy of Windows, the key should be included in the box.

3.  If you bought Windows online and downloaded it the key should have been sent to you through email. If you bought from the MS Store you can log in to your account to view your key.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 1, 2018 7:34 AM
  • Hi,

Was your issue resolved?

If yes, please mark the helpful reply as answer in order that other community members could find the helpful reply quickly.

If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 2, 2018 7:53 AM
  • Hi Robo,

If it's OEM license, you need use the installation media OEM provided to install and it will auto-activate.

Generally,

1. If you bought a computer with Windows preinstalled there should be a Certificate of Authenticity (COA) sticker somewhere on your computer, on some laptops. It will have a 25 character alphanumeric code on it - that is your product key. If it's not on your computer look in your paperwork or on any CD/DVD cases that were included with the computer.

2.  If you bought a retail copy of Windows, the key should be included in the box.

3.  If you bought Windows online and downloaded it the key should have been sent to you through email. If you bought from the MS Store you can log in to your account to view your key.

Hi!

My problem is that I haven't used the OEM media to install SQL Server.I have used a version that I have downloaded from Internet.

Do I need to uninstall the SQL Server installed and then reinstall the SQL Server OEM version?

Thanks.

Wednesday, June 27, 2018 10:13 AM
  • Hi Robo,

Generally,

Hi!

My problem is that I haven't used the OEM media to install SQL Server.I have used a version that I have downloaded from Internet.

Do I need to uninstall the SQL Server installed and then reinstall the SQL Server OEM version?

Thanks.

Which problem are you experiencing?
    If you have a licensed version of a software along with its product key you should always use that rather than a different one.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno
    MCP, MCTS, MOS, MTA

Saturday, June 30, 2018 6:53 PM