Custom connector (more documentation?) RRS feed

• Question

• Is there any more documentation about creating a custom connector for SCSM? (is there perhaps some example code for this?)
    The SDK help file isn't of much use when you want to create a custom connector.
    Maarten Damen
    Friday, December 18, 2009 7:49 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hey Maarten,

As far as I know, for the v1 release of Service Manager there is not going to be an API exposed for custom connector creation.  This may be a possibility for future releases though.  What is your business need?  We have a CSV "connector" which can bring data into SM as long as the data is in CSV format.  Would this help?
    I'm A PC
    Monday, December 21, 2009 7:58 PM
    Answerer
  • Here is one way to create a "connector".  
    http://blogs.technet.com/servicemanager/archive/2009/12/21/creating-an-ad-connector-using-powershell-and-csv-import.aspx

I'll post some more on the team blog over time.
    Travis Wright Senior Program Manager Lead Microsoft
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 3:42 AM
  • Maarten -
    Can you provide more information on what kind of connector you would like to create?  Do you want to get data into Service Manager?  Out of Service Manager?  Both ways?  Do you want to have it run continuously, on a schedule, on demand, etc?
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 5:16 AM
  • Thanks for the replies...

The blog post is a nice starting point!
    I would like to get data into service manager. My idea is to import network device assets from a network management tool.
    So on schedule would be ok.
    However in the future I might want to expand the connector to continuously insert security incidents into SCSM...

Any other information about the above would be very much helpfull...
    Maarten Damen
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 8:51 AM
  • What are the interfaces to the source data?  T-SQL over ODBC/ADO.Net?  Web services?  Is there a way to export data out of the other systems into Excel/CSV?  Do you have developer skills to write code if neccessary?

If you don't mind sharing, can you tell us which systems you want to get data out of?  We are planning our connector roadmap right now. 

Also - consider the acquisition of Opalis.  They have a lot of interfaces to other systems.

Tuesday, December 22, 2009 6:32 PM
  • I can interface the management tool using a ODBC driver. There is a manual export capability (CSV) however it would be nicer to directly interface the database.
    Basically I'm looking at this as a test to create a connector in SCSM (I have idea's for more connectors), so I do have the developer skills to write the neccessary code.

I don't mind sharing.. it's PCM (ProCurve Manager), more information can be found here: http://www.hp.com/rnd/software/network_management.htm
    Maarten Damen
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 7:46 AM
  • OK, thanks Maarten -

Stay tuned to the blog (http://blogs.technet.com/servicemanager).  I'm going to post a blog on how to create scheduled CSV connectors pretty soon and then another on SQL inbound connectors.  I'll update this thread with the links as I complete them.

Thursday, December 24, 2009 5:35 AM
  • Perfect Travis!
    Looking forward to those articles.
    Thanks, and happy hollidays!
    Maarten Damen
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 8:50 AM
  • OK - check this one out:
    http://blogs.technet.com/servicemanager/archive/2009/12/30/how-to-write-a-custom-connector-csv-connector-example.aspx

We're also working on an example which uses a special API similar to the CSV import approach but it takes a DataSet object and an XML mapping as input params.
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 7:01 AM
  • Excellent guide Travis.. I'll have a deeper look at it soon!
    Thanks!

Maarten Damen
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 11:31 AM