regedit won't open RRS feed

• Question

• Running Windows 7 Professional logged in as administrator.

I enter "regedit" in the search programs and files box.

Nothing happens.  I get no error message and the registry does not open so that I may make changes.

Ran a Symantec full system scan and it deleted 1 cookie.  Ran Spybot and it found 1 error and fixed it.  Rebooted the PC. 

Tried again with same result.  Can't get to the registry to make changes.

Appreciate any support I can get.

Carolyn

• Moved by Carey FrischMVP Wednesday, June 13, 2012 11:49 PM Moved to more appropriate forum category (From:Windows 7 Miscellaneous)
    Wednesday, June 13, 2012 8:10 PM

Answers

• Hi,

i suggest you can do like this:

1. Start-->in blank of "search programs and files" type %windir%--->then enter into that folder.

2.Check if you have regedit icon as following show.

If you can't find such icon, try to start your computer in safe mode.

Also, it also be caused by your GPO. If in this case, you can try as below show:

Start>Run>gpedit.msc>User Configuration>Administrative Templates>System>Prevent access to registry tools - disable if this is enabled.

Best Regards

• Marked as answer by Juke Chou Sunday, July 8, 2012 9:28 AM
    Friday, June 15, 2012 10:14 AM

All replies

• Hi,

i suggest you can do like this:

1. Start-->in blank of "search programs and files" type %windir%--->then enter into that folder.

2.Check if you have regedit icon as following show.

If you can't find such icon, try to start your computer in safe mode.

Also, it also be caused by your GPO. If in this case, you can try as below show:

Start>Run>gpedit.msc>User Configuration>Administrative Templates>System>Prevent access to registry tools - disable if this is enabled.

Best Regards

• Marked as answer by Juke Chou Sunday, July 8, 2012 9:28 AM
    Friday, June 15, 2012 10:14 AM
  • Gud day. im also searching for the solution for my access in registry entry and i came here. i think i have the same problem with him. As i go to the windows folder, i notice that i do not have regedit icon found there. i hae also disabled the prevent an access but still nothing happens. Is there anything for me to do ? please reply asap. Thank you and God Bless :)

Jesus is Lord

Monday, January 26, 2015 3:09 PM
  • I have this same problem and i have tried multiple things to fix it..No matter where i run regedit from, start menu typing regedit then clicking on it or running it as an administrator, going into the windows files and running it from there, Ive tried things to enable it/disable it. Nothing as worked and when i run it nothing pops up it doesnt even show that its loading by the cursor..If anybody has an answer or needs more info please reply
    Sunday, April 19, 2015 8:51 PM
  • Hi. I was in the same situation, but i just downloaded Registry Workshop instead of tyring to fix regedit.

Registry workshop is like regedit. 

Download registry workshop here - http://www.torchsoft.com/en/download.html

;)

Im not advertising anything, i just solved my problem and wanted to solve yours :D

You can use any other regedit alternatives, just google it.

Monday, April 20, 2015 12:48 PM
  • Thank you soooooo much Arnoldsss .I had tried everything else under the sun..this worked, so relieved..so much time spent on this issue...really glad you took the time to document this.
    • Edited by Mary McEvoy Wednesday, January 27, 2016 2:47 PM
    Wednesday, January 27, 2016 2:46 PM
  • hey! I have this and my the registry editor works now!

but one problem: I have this key called FLRegkey for FL Studio and i couldnt click on it.

opened it with the registry editor and it worked but don't know how to enable it. Mostly you will get a message that

it has been added or something like that. now i get all these weird files. Sorry if it's a bit unclear im not that good with

computers. pls help

Friday, May 5, 2017 11:13 PM