none
anywhere access: server 2012 essential: password for your domain name service provider user account is not correct

Question

• I recently installed Windows Server 2012 Essentials and during this process configured Anywhere Access which works well.

I then setup Windows Azure backup but during this process had to change my Windows Account password.

I now see an alert in the Server 2012 Essential dashboard: "The Internet domain name cannot be updated".

I tried to use the wizard to repair Anywhere Access (Settings/Anywhere Access/Repair...) as recommended to resolve the alert and after a while get the message:

"The password for your domain name service provider user account is not correct" with the option to "Retype your password".

When I enter my updated Windows Account username and password into the resultant "Domain name credentials" dialogue box, it tells me that I have entered an "Invalid Password", even though I know this is the correct password for my Windows Account. I have also tried entering the old password but still get the "Invalid Password" message.

Despite this alert and my being unable to enter the correct password, Anywhere Access seems to work fine.

Please can you advise how I can resolve this alert, other than by just ignoring it?

Thank you!

Tuesday, March 25, 2014 11:00 PM

Answers

• Hi Robert,

I have finally managed to fix this issue.

I think that if you change your Windows Account password after using your Windows Account to setup a "Microsoft personalised domain name" for Anywhere Access, then the authentication process that Server 2012 Essentials carries out to validate your domain name gets screwed up. The Anywhere access repair wizard will then accept neither your old password (because it is no longer valid) nor, surprisingly, your new password. However, it will accept an "app password".  Why this should be is beyond me, but there you go....

The process I used to fix this issue is:

1. On the Windows Server 2012 Essentials dashboard click Settings.
    2. click Anywhere Access on the list on the left of the Settings dialogue.
    3. click the "Repair..." button to start the repair wizard.
    4. When the message: "The password for your domain name service provider user account is not correct" appears click the option to "Retype your password".
    5. Goto https://login.live.com and login to your Microsoft Account. Note: I used a separate PC to avoid all the security messages thrown up by Windows Server 2012.
    6. Click "Security Info" in the left hand side pane of the Windows Account overview page.
    7. Click "Create a new app password".
    8. Write down the app password that is generated: e.g. hlewjbbflblhgtks.
    9. Got back to Windows Server 2012 Essentials and enter your Microsoft Account login name and the app password that you've just generated (i.e. hlewjbbflblhgtks) into the "Retype your password" dialogue box and click OK.
    10. The wizard will take its time and then tell you that Anywhere Access has been successfully repaired.
    11. Open the Alert Viewer (by clicking the alert message icon just under "Help" on the Server 2012 Essentials dashboard); and finally
    12. Click the refresh icon and after a few minutes the Alert list will be refreshed and the "The Internet domain name cannot be updated" critical alert has vanished.

Hopefully this might help others?

Thanks very much for your help.

Best regards,

John

Thursday, April 03, 2014 10:31 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on your description, it seems that Anywhere Access still works as normal when those alerts occurred. Would you please let me know weather the Windows Account which you descript was used to created domain name? Just a confirmation. Thanks for your understanding.

On current situation, please change your Windows Account password to a more secure one. Then monitor the result.

In addition, please refer to the suggestion that letmebang provided in the following similar thread, and then please check if can help you to solve this issue.

Alert 'The Internet domain name cannot be updated' is showing up on two of my SBS Essential 2011 servers

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/4856017d-82dc-4086-bd82-6c119e30c03c/alert-the-internet-domain-name-cannot-be-updated-is-showing-up-on-two-of-my-sbs-essential-2011?forum=smallbusinessserver2011essentials

If anything I misunderstand or any update, please don’t hesitate to let me know.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Justin Gu

Friday, March 28, 2014 4:49 AM
  • Hello Justin,

Thank you for your reply.  The Windows Account I used to set up the Azure backup was also used to create the domain. My password is already classified as a strong password.

I will try the suggestion of letmebang and confirm what happens.

Best regards

John

Friday, March 28, 2014 8:30 AM
  • "The password for your domain name service provider user account is not correct" with the option to "Retype your password".

This would be your password for Godaddy or Enom, not your windows password.

Robert Pearman SBS MVP
    itauthority.co.uk | Title(Required)
    Facebook | Twitter | Linked in | Google+

Friday, March 28, 2014 12:07 PM
  • Hi Robert,

I don't have an account with either Godaddy or Enom.

When setting up Anywhere Access I chose the "Microsoft personalised domain name" option which required me to enter my Windows Account credentials to get the domain name. This is why I have been trying to enter my Windows Account credentials at the "retype your password"  stage of the repair process.

As per Justin's suggestion I followed the approach of letmebang but when I get to step 4 ("retype your password" which brings up the "Domain name credentials" dialog) and enter my Windows Account credentials I still receive an "Invalid password" message, so can go no further.

I double checked my password by confirming I could successfully log into my Microsoft Account at  http://login.live.com/.

I then tried to repair "Anywhere Access" again, but still received the "Invalid Password" message at step 4.

Following Justin's other suggestion, I changed my password, making sure it was fully compliant with the definition of a strong password in http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc756109(v=ws.10).aspx.

I logged out of my Windows Account and double checked the new password by logging back in at http://login.live.com/ successfully.

I then tried to repair Anywhere Access again but at the "Domain name credentials" dialog still got an "Invalid password" message, despite being 100% sure it is a strong, correct password.

Fortunately, Anywhere Access still works, but I continue to see the "Internet domain name cannot be updated" Critical Alert.

What else can I do?

Best regards,

John

Friday, March 28, 2014 4:42 PM
  • Hi Robert and Justin,

I have noticed there is a "Recent activity" tab within the Microsoft Account menu. Looking at this I have noticed the following, which may help shed some light on what is going on?

a) When I run the "Repair Anywhere Access" wizard, the recent activity log shows an "incorrect password entered"  entry from my IP address at the time the wizard is run.

b) When the Wizard asks me to "retype my password" and I enter my credentials into the "Domain name credentials" dialog box, I receive an "Invalid password" message from the wizard, but the Windows Account recent activity log shows a "successful sign-in" entry corresponding to the time I hit "OK".

c) If I wait a couple of minutes and re-enter my credentials, I still receive the "Invalid password" message from the Anywhere Access Repair Wizard but the Windows Account recent activity log shows another "successful sign-in" entry corresponding to the time I hit "OK".

d) If I wait another few minutes and enter my old password, I still receive the "Invalid password" message from the Anywhere Access Repair Wizard and the recent activity log shows an "incorrect password entered"  entry from my IP address at the time I hit "OK".

Just my halfpenny worth but I am guessing that:

i)  when I changed my Windows Account password, this change was not communicated or picked up properly by "Anywhere Access";

ii) When I run the Repair Anywhere Access Wizard, it tries to connect to my Microsoft Account, presumably to verify the domain name in some way. However, it uses the previous credentials which are no longer valid and so receives an "incorrect password" response from my Windows Account. This causes it to generate a "The password for your domain name service provider user account is not correct" message and ask for the password to be retyped.

iii) When I enter the old password, the Wizard accesses my Windows Account and not surprisingly receives an "incorrect password" response which causes the Wizard to indicate the password is not correct. 

iv) When I enter the updated password the Wizard accesses my Windows Account and a "successful sign-in" is logged because the updated password is recognised by my Windows Account. 

v) However, this "successful sign-in" is either not communicated or picked up properly by the Anywhere Access or is ignored by the Wizard so the new password entry continues to be treated by the Wizard as an invalid password.

Essentially, Anywhere Access has lost track of the correct password and won't accept a new password, even one that is validated by my Microsoft Account. 

Any suggestions to resolve this would be much appreciated.

Best regards,

John

Best regards,

John

Friday, March 28, 2014 5:41 PM
  • It should be a windows live ID, not your windows password.

Robert Pearman SBS MVP

Tuesday, April 01, 2014 11:08 AM
  • Hi Robert,

Just to be clear, I have not been using my windows computer password for any of the above.

I have been using my "Microsoft Account" password which I understand to be the replacement for the "Windows Live ID" as when I go to what used to be the Windows Live login:  https://login.live.com the sign in page that appears is for a "Microsoft Account".

Best regards,

John

• Edited by cjmorcom Tuesday, April 01, 2014 11:56 AM
    Tuesday, April 01, 2014 11:55 AM
  • OK understood.

Can you share your dashboard.log file?

Robert Pearman SBS MVP

Tuesday, April 01, 2014 1:01 PM
  • Hi Robert,

There are two large files: dashboard.log (10.2MB - last updated 31st March) and dashboard2.log (6MB).

Please forgive my ignorance, but what's the best way to share them with you as I don't see an option to attach files to my reply on this forum?  Could I connect with you via LinkedIn and email them to you or is there a better way?

Best regards,

John

Tuesday, April 01, 2014 1:39 PM
  • Something like OneDrive.

Robert Pearman SBS MVP

Tuesday, April 01, 2014 8:15 PM
  • Hi Robert,

I have finally managed to fix this issue.

I think that if you change your Windows Account password after using your Windows Account to setup a "Microsoft personalised domain name" for Anywhere Access, then the authentication process that Server 2012 Essentials carries out to validate your domain name gets screwed up. The Anywhere access repair wizard will then accept neither your old password (because it is no longer valid) nor, surprisingly, your new password. However, it will accept an "app password".  Why this should be is beyond me, but there you go....

The process I used to fix this issue is:

1. On the Windows Server 2012 Essentials dashboard click Settings.
    2. click Anywhere Access on the list on the left of the Settings dialogue.
    3. click the "Repair..." button to start the repair wizard.
    4. When the message: "The password for your domain name service provider user account is not correct" appears click the option to "Retype your password".
    5. Goto https://login.live.com and login to your Microsoft Account. Note: I used a separate PC to avoid all the security messages thrown up by Windows Server 2012.
    6. Click "Security Info" in the left hand side pane of the Windows Account overview page.
    7. Click "Create a new app password".
    8. Write down the app password that is generated: e.g. hlewjbbflblhgtks.
    9. Got back to Windows Server 2012 Essentials and enter your Microsoft Account login name and the app password that you've just generated (i.e. hlewjbbflblhgtks) into the "Retype your password" dialogue box and click OK.
    10. The wizard will take its time and then tell you that Anywhere Access has been successfully repaired.
    11. Open the Alert Viewer (by clicking the alert message icon just under "Help" on the Server 2012 Essentials dashboard); and finally
    12. Click the refresh icon and after a few minutes the Alert list will be refreshed and the "The Internet domain name cannot be updated" critical alert has vanished.

Hopefully this might help others?

Thanks very much for your help.

Best regards,

John

Thursday, April 03, 2014 10:31 AM
  • Hi,

Glad to hear that you have solved this issue and thanks for sharing your solution in the forum. This will help others who face the same scenario resolve the issue quickly. Your time and efforts are highly appreciated.

Best regards,

Justin Gu

Friday, April 04, 2014 1:30 AM
  • The way I read this dialog box, it is asking for the User name and Password for my GoDaddy account.  I enter my correct GoDaddy credentials yet the dialog responds with "The user name or password is incorrect.  Retype your user name and password."

This prevents me from setting up the Remote Anywhere"!

I am building a new Server 2012 R2 Essentials server to replace my (too difficult to keep running) SBS 2011 Standard server.  My public IP address is the same.  My MAC will be the same upon retiring that SBS, so my router and router's firewall remain unchanged.  I already have a valid current certificate (from GoDaddy) and that will remain unchanged.  If I could just bypass this setup Remote anywhere dialog.

Either the dialog must accept valid GoDaddy credentials by fixing the dialog, or provide information to allow me to configure Remote Anywhere manually (bypassing Essentials faulty dialog).

- Michael Faklis

Wednesday, March 30, 2016 10:31 PM
  • Hi John,

Thanks for your post. I have had this problem forever. Whenever I change or need to update a password - all my remote access stuff seems to get screwed up - across the board. I get weird intermittent ability to work remotely. With my bad luck, it always seems to happen right before an extended trip - where I will need/want remote access for an extended period of time. It is maddening.

I think I tried your process once before, and it seemed to help. I am trying it again - as the problem started again - and when I get to step 7 in your list of step, I do not have that option. Is there a new way to do this?

Thanks,

-Kevin

Friday, July 06, 2018 2:10 PM
  • Hi Kevin,

If you are already signed in to your Microsoft account, I found that the following link takes you to the application password page directly:

https://account.live.com/proofs/AppPassword

Hopefully this will work for you. If not, click the "more security options" link in the text at the bottom of the Security Basics screen to go to the "Additional Security Options" page. This has a link to the "App Passwords" page.

Regards,

John

CJM

Monday, July 09, 2018 9:34 AM