Password change notification before expiration RRS feed

• Question

• Hi. We have a terminal server on Windows Server 2012 R2. All we want to do is configure user passwords to expire periodically. According to the following page it is possible:

Interactive logon: Prompt user to change password before expiration

We asked the IT company that manages our server and they told us that this can be done only if the Windows Server 2012 R2 does NOT have the role as a terminal server. Is there a way to be able to do this on a terminal server?

Tuesday, October 24, 2017 8:07 PM

Answers

• Hi,

If you are unhappy with the built-in notification you may write a script that runs at logon and displays a popup if their password is expiring within xx days, and/or have a script that runs once a day and sends out emails to people with passwords expiring within xx days.

-TP

• Proposed as answer by Amy Wang_ Thursday, October 26, 2017 1:53 AM
    • Marked as answer by Ralph1209 Thursday, October 26, 2017 12:21 PM
    Wednesday, October 25, 2017 8:42 PM

All replies

• Hi,

as far as i know i should be possible. But the Notification Center of Server 2012 R2 should be enabled by policy

• Proposed as answer by TP []MVP Wednesday, October 25, 2017 8:43 PM
    Tuesday, October 24, 2017 8:23 PM
  • Hi,

Users connecting to RDS server should be able to see the Password Expiration notification, please ensure that notifications on the taskbar are not hidden.

Best Regards,

Amy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Amy Wang_ Wednesday, October 25, 2017 9:57 AM
    • Proposed as answer by TP []MVP Wednesday, October 25, 2017 8:43 PM
    Wednesday, October 25, 2017 9:53 AM
  • Hi Amy,

Thank you for the suggestion. I want to post a screenshot, but I am not able yet with this account.

Is a notification on the taskbar the only way to show that your password is going to expire on a terminal server? Are there more options for notifications? For example a pop up in the middle of the screen that your password is about to expire.

Wednesday, October 25, 2017 7:58 PM
  • Hi,

If you are unhappy with the built-in notification you may write a script that runs at logon and displays a popup if their password is expiring within xx days, and/or have a script that runs once a day and sends out emails to people with passwords expiring within xx days.

-TP

• Proposed as answer by Amy Wang_ Thursday, October 26, 2017 1:53 AM
    • Marked as answer by Ralph1209 Thursday, October 26, 2017 12:21 PM
    Wednesday, October 25, 2017 8:42 PM