none
Move protection group short term protection backup to another storage disk Data protection manager 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Preamble:

I have one windows 2008 standard r1 SP1 server in which is installed Data protection manager 2007 SP1

The server has a fiber channel card (qlogic) connected to some fc switches that are connected to the storage controllers.

Zoning on the fcswitch and on the controller allows the server to see only three LUNs,

mpio is configured on windows and I do not have any problems to see the lun.

I converted the lun (called disks in server manager -> storage -> disk management) seens by the server to Dynamic disk.

Sorry for the long preamble.

So.. the server have a large protection group with 52 members, in which the DPM client and the patch for the client is installed. 

The group is configured to store the backup as a short-term protection only on one LUN large 1.7Tera

Unfortunately right now there are only 5 GB free on that LUN and I would like to distribute the backups across the 3 LUNs that I got (1.7Tera, 1.7Tera, 2.3Tera).

If I try to increase the disk allocation for one member of the protection group I got:

Error 360: the operation failed due to a virtual disk service error

Unknown error (0x80042515)

Recommended action: Retry the operation

I have the impression that because there are only 5GB free in the LUN that is currently used for the Backup and because I am trying to increase the disk allocation for more than 5GB the system complain. 

It seems like that the backup of a single member cannot be split over different lun.. (and this is ok and even understandable for me!) but.. if this is the problem it is possible to move the backup set(the logical partition) of some group members to other LUNs (again seen as a local disk from the server) without loosing data? 

Should this process be automatic when I try to modify the disk allocation?

PS (I verified this extending the disk allocation for one member to 3 additional GB and it works (less then the 5 avaialbe)

Thanks

Cheers

Enrico

• Moved by Parag AgrawalModerator Wednesday, September 8, 2010 10:15 AM Disk management related Q (From:Data Protection Manager)
    Wednesday, September 8, 2010 9:22 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Can you run dispart.exe - then "list volume" command and send the output, then also the DPM Power-shell command:  get-Dpmdisk and also send the output, that should give me a good view of your storage configuration.

Make sure you are running on the latest DPM 2007 qfe KB979970, then make sure the 2.3TB disk is GPT disk and that you have the additional disks added to the DPM storage pool.  If all of the above are true, then you should be able to add more space to any volumes.

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, September 8, 2010 5:16 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Can you run dispart.exe - then "list volume" command and send the output, then also the DPM Power-shell command:  get-Dpmdisk and also send the output, that should give me a good view of your storage configuration.

Make sure you are running on the latest DPM 2007 qfe KB979970, then make sure the 2.3TB disk is GPT disk and that you have the additional disks added to the DPM storage pool.  If all of the above are true, then you should be able to add more space to any volumes.

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, September 8, 2010 5:16 PM
  • Dear Mike,

Great success, the 2.3TB disk was already a GPT disk but I did not have the KB979970 installed.

After installing the dependency: Windows6.0-KB962975-v2-x64 and then the KB979970 as you suggested I was able to add more space.

Thank you very much!

Enrico

Friday, September 10, 2010 8:39 AM