none
How to prevent end users from connecting to SharePoint List through Microsoft Access RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Is there a way to prevent a user from connecting to a list either by clicking the "Open to Access" button in a SharePoint site or opening Microsoft Access and then connecting to a SharePoint site?  I ask for the reason of users intentionally or accidentally performing crud operations.

Thursday, November 14, 2019 7:56 PM

Answers

• Hi, ITchel,

Per my knowledge, If the user has proper permission in that list, then he always can connect to the list via Microsoft Access. You can create a unique permission for that list, and remove the certain user's permission. Then he will not be able to open the sharepoint list even in Access.  

Reference:Customize permissions for a SharePoint list or library

Best Regards

Jerry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

• Proposed as answer by Michael Han6 Tuesday, November 19, 2019 9:01 AM
    • Marked as answer by ITchel Wednesday, November 20, 2019 3:24 PM
    Friday, November 15, 2019 8:50 AM

All replies

• I don't think you have any other options other then playing with permissions or injecting some custom code to hide from them to Connect with open with access.

Thanks & Regards,

sharath aluri

Friday, November 15, 2019 12:54 AM
  • Hi Sharath Aluri,

Thanks for the response.  What permissions are you referring to?  I'm not sure what is meant by "permissions from them to Create".

Friday, November 15, 2019 2:18 AM
  • I am sorry, what i meant to say is use CSS code to hide the open with access from the ribbon.

SPRibbon ribbon = SPRibbon.GetCurrent(this.Page);
    ribbon.TrimById("Ribbon.List.Actions.OpenWithAccess");

Below article for your reference:

https://sharepoint.stackexchange.com/questions/46715/can-i-disable-open-with-access-option-in-the-ribbon-for-a-list-sp2010

Thanks & Regards,

sharath aluri

Friday, November 15, 2019 2:59 AM
  • Hi, ITchel,

Per my knowledge, If the user has proper permission in that list, then he always can connect to the list via Microsoft Access. You can create a unique permission for that list, and remove the certain user's permission. Then he will not be able to open the sharepoint list even in Access.  

Reference:Customize permissions for a SharePoint list or library

Best Regards

Jerry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

• Proposed as answer by Michael Han6 Tuesday, November 19, 2019 9:01 AM
    • Marked as answer by ITchel Wednesday, November 20, 2019 3:24 PM
    Friday, November 15, 2019 8:50 AM
  • Hi, ITchel,

Thanks for marking my reply as answer. I’m pleased to know that the information is helpful to you. I hope you are delighted with the service we provided you.

Here I will provide a brief summary of this post for your information.

===========================================================================================

Request/Expectation:
    Prevent a user from connecting to a list either by clicking the "Open to Access" button in a SharePoint site or opening Microsoft Access and then connecting to a SharePoint site
    ====================================================================
    Solution Summary:
    The only way to prevent user from accessing SP site via Access is to only grant he/she read permission.

Reference Links:
    Customize permissions for a SharePoint list or library

====================================================================

Best Regards

Jerry

Tuesday, November 26, 2019 9:09 AM