Laptop for sharepoint 2007? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, i am planning to buy a laptop for using sharepoint 2007.i wanted to buy a dell laptop can any one tell which laptop model will be actually use ful please. and the configuration it will need

thanks

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Monday, July 11, 2011 12:18 PM This is a pre-SP 2010 forum. SP 2010 question removed. and NEVER say something is urgent. Wait your turn,
    Monday, July 11, 2011 10:08 AM

Answers

• 4GB is not recommended if you want to learn both versions on the same Laptop. SharePoint 2007 can be installed on a 64-bit OS...

Thanks & Regards,
    Kamlesh | Blog | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 6:06 PM
  • You can go ahead with Dell inspiron i5 64 bit Processor with 4 GB ram. That is enough for MOSS 2007.

If you want to install both MOSS-2007 and another SP (Sharepoint 2010) you should go with i7 8GB Ram system.

Regards ---------------------------------- Hemant Basavapattan(MCTS) Wipro Technologies

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 10:03 AM

All replies

• I am assuming that this is not a Production system :) and it will be used for Development/Learning purpose only.

My friends are using XPS model having 8GB RAM. 

Whats your budget?

In my case, I am sticking to a Desktop, as it gives be best option for higher Upgrades.

Thanks & Regards,
    Kamlesh | Blog | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Edited by KSDN Monday, July 11, 2011 12:00 PM typo correction
    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Monday, July 11, 2011 12:19 PM SP 2010 pare of answer removed. This question was posted to a pre-SP 2010 forum so SP 2010 questions (and answers) are off-topic.
    • Proposed as answer by UllasSJoshi Monday, July 11, 2011 11:08 PM
    Monday, July 11, 2011 11:59 AM
  •  

my budget is 40K i have a doubt will dell inspiron 15r which is 64bit with 4gb ram 500hdd and i5 process  will run my sharepoint 2007 .. First  of will sharepoint 2007 run s on 64 bit system please let me know.

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Tuesday, July 12, 2011 10:29 AM Again SP 2010 is off-topic here. Do not keep mentioning it here
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 8:31 AM
  • 4GB is not recommended if you want to learn both versions on the same Laptop. SharePoint 2007 can be installed on a 64-bit OS...

Thanks & Regards,
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 6:06 PM
  • You can go ahead with Dell inspiron i5 64 bit Processor with 4 GB ram. That is enough for MOSS 2007.

If you want to install both MOSS-2007 and another SP (Sharepoint 2010) you should go with i7 8GB Ram system.

Regards ---------------------------------- Hemant Basavapattan(MCTS) Wipro Technologies

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 10:03 AM
  • If you just need to play with MOSS all you need is a decent dual/quad processor laptop with 4GB RAM. To get better performance install the server itself as the OS. The other thing you should consider is the RPM of the HD. If you plan to go virtual, then you can also consider purchasing a SSD drive for great performance.
    Kartik Anand, MCPD, MCITP Blog: http://sharepointclaimsguru.blogspot.com/ Twitter: sp_claimsguru
    Thursday, July 14, 2011 5:16 PM
  • In my experience the best way to setup a MOSS development/test environment is with virtualisation, i.e. on your laptop you would create a virtual machine which has MOSS installed and do your development and testing within the virtual machine. This has a number of advantages, it's easy and fast to do backups and restores, you want an environment that you can try things out on and if you mess it up you can rollback quickly and easily. It allows you to easily have multiple environments with different configurations. It's portable, so you can run it on your laptop, and if you need to share something with another developer you can copy the VM to them.

4GB of RAM is sufficient for this, you can dedicate 2GB to your VM, or possibly a little more depending on what applications you will also be running on your host OS, and this will work perfectly fine. 8GB is better though, you can give more to your VM and have more for your host OS, or even run multiple VMs. CPU speed is not critical, going for the absolute fastest possible would just be wasting money you can put to better use elsewhere. Dual or quad core will help a lot, quad would only be really needed if you will run multiple VMs or lots of application on the host OS. Make sure though that the CPU supports hardware virtualisation, some of the lower end ones have it disabled. Lots of disk space is always good when running VMs, but also try to get a laptop with USB3 or eSATA and a matching external disk, it'll almost certainly come in handy.

Lastly, also budget for a external monitor, having two screens will boost your productivity more than just about anything else, it doesn't need to be a fancy 30" IPS display or anything, bog standard LCDs are fine unless you're doing high level design work and widescreen ones at 20"+ are shockingly cheap these days.

Friday, July 15, 2011 11:13 AM
  • Liked your details, but the budget is Rs.40,000 :)
    Thanks & Regards,
    Friday, July 15, 2011 1:29 PM