none
Mail fowarding RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have Exchange 2007 SP2 running in my enviroment. There are requirement to do mail fowarding:

1. Send mail to "Internal Mailbox A" then Forward to External contact - This is working, have tested.

2. Send mail to "Internal Mailbox B" | Outlook rule will direct the mail from "Internal Mailbox B" to "Internal Mailbox A" (no.1) then forward to External contact.

I have an issue for no.2, it doesn't forward to external contact. I did message tracking, it show that the email from "Internal Mailbox B" had sent to "Internal Mailbox A" (Deliver, StoreDriv) but no "redirect" had been occur. 

May i know if this is default behaviour since there 2 hops mail fowarding occured. Does Exchange doesn't allow it?

Tuesday, June 24, 2014 3:39 AM

Answers

• I did test on Exchange 2010, the same issue occurred but if the final forwarding email is internal. It is working.

I did test using Transport rule, it is able to forward to external email address but no copy left on "Internal Mailbox A", message tracking will show "FAIL" to push the email to "Internal Mailbox A".

I created Fabrikam.com as a remote domain and by default the "auto-forwarding" was enabled. You can enable the auto-forwarding on the default remote domain. After sending the test message to "Internal Mailbox A", it will redirect to "Internal Mailbox B" via Outlook rule then forwarding it out to external. It is working based on what I want now.

"Internal Mailbox A" = Alex.Yu@contoso.local

"Internal Mailbox B" = Simon.Ng@contoso.local

"External Contact"   = Fabri01@fabrikam.com

Here is message tracking result:

• Marked as answer by Suriya25 Sunday, June 29, 2014 3:30 AM
    Sunday, June 29, 2014 3:30 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I have some tests in my environment using Exchange 2007.

Note: My environment can't send emails to external users, so I have the tests internally. Thanks for your understanding.

1. Create Outlook rule to redirect messages that are sent to 07amy to 07amy02.

2. Create a transport rule to redirect messages that are sent to 07amy02 to amy01.

3. Amy02 send a message to 07amy, amy01 receive the email as well, this message is From amy02, To 07amy02.

In your case, the issue shouldn't be related to the 2 hops redirects. Please check if internal MailboxA receives the message that is redirect from MailboxB to determine whether the Outlook rule works.

If the issue persists, I recommend you post the message tracking log for my further research.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Amy Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, June 25, 2014 8:43 AM
  • Hi

Exchange 2007 SP2 has been out of support for about 3 years now so you really need to upgrade to SP3 ... Update Rollup 13 should also be installed once you have installed SP3.

Steve

Wednesday, June 25, 2014 9:01 AM
  • Outlook rule on Mailbox B is working since the email send to Mailbox B reached Mailbox A. Here the message tracking. The GREEN box is a mailbox B while RED box is a Mailbox A. As you can see the message end in Mailbox A. There is no mail delivery to external from Mailbox A. 

For your case, you do create a transport rule but my case i enabled mail forwarding of Mailbox A at Message Delivery Tab

Mailbox B Outlook rule

• Edited by Suriya25 Wednesday, June 25, 2014 9:23 AM
    Wednesday, June 25, 2014 9:16 AM
  • I did test on Exchange 2010, the same issue occurred but if the final forwarding email is internal. It is working.

I did test using Transport rule, it is able to forward to external email address but no copy left on "Internal Mailbox A", message tracking will show "FAIL" to push the email to "Internal Mailbox A".

I created Fabrikam.com as a remote domain and by default the "auto-forwarding" was enabled. You can enable the auto-forwarding on the default remote domain. After sending the test message to "Internal Mailbox A", it will redirect to "Internal Mailbox B" via Outlook rule then forwarding it out to external. It is working based on what I want now.

"Internal Mailbox A" = Alex.Yu@contoso.local

"Internal Mailbox B" = Simon.Ng@contoso.local

"External Contact"   = Fabri01@fabrikam.com

Here is message tracking result:

• Marked as answer by Suriya25 Sunday, June 29, 2014 3:30 AM
    Sunday, June 29, 2014 3:30 AM