none
Question mark breaks Enterprise Mode site list RRS feed

• Question

• While trying to add a URL with a question mark in the URL, my Enterprise Mode site list is getting broken. I have the schema correct with the domain and path tags but that character seems to break the list entirely. Is there any special care needed when adding such a URL? Is it even possible? The web application is javascript based and I only want to enable Enterprise Mode for a specific section.

Thanks in advance

Monday, July 13, 2015 1:38 PM

Answers

• Hi,

the question mark (?) is part of the uri's query parameter(s). and...

"The web application is javascript based and I only want to enable Enterprise Mode for a specific section." ... your doing something wrong... EM is for enterprise domains and intranets where the IT development and maintenance policy has not yet moved to industry standards (W3c client recommendations). First validate and correct your legacy markup at http://validator.w3.org/nu (or download and deploy the stand-alone validators from the w3c site or use Visual Studio's Intellisence and the Errors tab, to list and then correct the markup and scripting errors if you are working on an intranet that does not have a public IP address). You can view the 'computed' source of a web page built from scripts or AJAX injections by typing document.documentElement.outerHTML in the dev tools console tab.

Use the Developer tools Emulation tab to first test your intranet assets. If a web page does not have a valid document type declaration, IE8 and lower emulation modes will use (what was described as) 'Quirks' mode... embed content in iframes and frameset pages will only inherit the emulation mode that is established in the parent document, so using the dev tool's emulation tab to change the Document Mode (better described as the Emulation mode) to Edge does not break the page/site, and the page is lacking a valid document type declaration, then your strategy should be to just add a valid document type declaration (<!doctype html> is best to future proof your intranet and web assets)... use EM in those circumstances where your company is still using the Compatibility View Setting/GPO "Display intranet sites in Compatibility View" (or your partner companies have not yet moved to standards and are still dependant on meta and header x-ua settings) and you need to over-ride that setting (since you have now added a valid document type declaration and your page/site has no other legacy dependencies on non-standards markup and scripting.. (attachEvent, document.selection, css expressions, ms prefixed methods, UAS sniffing etc... see caniuse.com)... A gotcha is inhouse ActiveX controls (Java JRT applets, shockwave(not adobe) flash objects, proprietary MSActiveX objects) (unsigned, commonly used on enterprise intranets)... without markup and scripting modification those pages will work best in IE8 emulation mode (applied with EM). Any new intranet development you should be coding to the html5 living standards and where possible using natively supported features (file api, video, audio, storage etc) instead of ActiveX controls or plugins... (in Win8 and higher PDF readers are natively supported).

Understandably, recently trained web developers find IE's Emulation modes confusing. Network administrators who have been charged with the task of implementing EM, more so.

I am starting to write a book here, so to answer your question I suggest you post to a web development forum and include a link to your internet site or if its an intranet site, post a mashup that shows the structure (doctype>html>head>body>content>iframe), or open a support ticket at support.microsoft.com to arrange for engineering support or hire short term contracting expertise. (freelancer.com).... YOU ARE DOING SOMETHING WRONG.... to answer your question we need to see the code (preferably from your environment/company)

IE Web Development Forum, however see IE Web Development Forum is moving to stack overflow

(I frequent the MSDN IE Web Development forum... so it will probably be me who attempts to help you.)

MS Support: find your local MS support portal http://support.microsoft.com

If you are linking to embedded youtube or vivio content (an external linked iframe), then simply add a valid document type to your parent document. (also add an x-ua meta IE=Edge if your company is still using "Display intranet sites in compatibility view".

I know you are probably more confused, but the truth is code is more informative than written words.

Kind Regards.

Rob^_^

Tuesday, July 14, 2015 1:35 AM