none
MAP - Impact on Network performance RRS feed

• Question

• I appologies in advance if these questions are answered in some documentation, but I was not able to find it anywhere.

I want to use MAP to assess my ~2000 workstations but I want to confirm the impact it may have on network performance during the process.

If I provide a list of workstations to MAP, how many concurrent workstations will it query at the same time?  Will it query one machine then move on to the next or will it query ### at a time?

What impact will MAP have on the workstation?  Will the end user suffer serious performance issues while MAP analyzes their workstation?

How much data is transfered over the network when MAP returns it's results to the database?  I realise it's only text but with multiple machines being scanned simultaneously over WAN links, what impact would this have on our network?

Thank you in advance.
    • Edited by Sean.B Tuesday, July 29, 2008 6:42 PM edits
    Tuesday, July 29, 2008 6:39 PM

All replies

• Great questions Sean.B!  We field these pretty often, but I don't believe we've put these in the Getting Started Guide yet. 

Concurrent workstations - A good rule of thumb for a 32 bit machine with 1GB memory is about 20.  The collection engine is dynamic and will spawn inventory threads based upon the configuration of the machine you are using to host MAP.  If you have a robust processor, a good amount of memory and are running on a 64 bit operating system, MAP will spawn more threads automatically.  

For an inventory run of 2000 workstations we recommend the following configuration for the host machine:

"A laptop or desktop computer running Windows Vista or Windows Vista with Service Pack 1 with a dual-core (1.5GHz or faster) CPU and at least 2GB of RAM is required. For Windows XP or Windows Server 2003 a fast CPU (1.5GHz or faster) and at least 1.5GB of RAM is recommended."

Workstation Impact - Typically, you will see about a 3% hit on processor utilization while that machine is under interrogation.  Of course, it depends upon the target machines configuration as well as the workload that is present on that machine at the time of inventory.

Network Impact - In terms of data transfer across the network, we typically see between 300KB and 1MB of info per device inventoried concurrently.  The range is due primarily to the amount of data in the installed programs list. 

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 6:22 PM
  • Thank you for the detailed response. 

Is there anyway to hard code (setting, registry or ini) the max number of concurrent PCs being scanned instead of leaving it up to the software to decide dynamicaly?  Let's just say that certain people need to know a specific number to make sure that MAP will not hog too many network resources, particularly slow WAN links.
    Thursday, July 31, 2008 6:24 PM
  • ANyone have an answer?  MAP is not workig when I ask to scan large batches.  I have to segment in small amount, and I have to do it manually.  Really not an aggreable product.
    Friday, August 8, 2008 7:31 PM
  • Hey Sean B. -

Sorry for the delay.  There isn't a way for you to manage this yourself. 

We will be more than happy to help you troubleshoot the issue that you are having with MAP.  We will need some additional data to get started.

Can you provide a description of what you mean by 'scan large batches' and 'not working'? 

What assessment are you attempting to run? 

What discovery methods are you using? (e.g. Active Directory, Windows Networking Protocol, manually entered names, IP Range Scan, Import from file)

What results are you expecting that you are not getting?

Thanks

Friday, August 8, 2008 8:20 PM
  •  I have not determined a specific amount that causes the problem.  When I scan a batch of 50 I get a good success rate 70%, when I get to 100 my success drops to 0% with the majority of errors being RPC server unavailable.

I am running Vista and office 2007 assesment.

I am providing the a txt file with a list of workstations, that is how I am trying to control the amount of workstations, and a scan of IP or AD was not approved.

I have increased my success with larger numbers by increasing the the timeout from 30sec to 120sec with a success rate of about 7-15% (up from 0%).

The problem is when use the list provided method,any workstation not successfully inventoried in the past, are retried everytime.  SO if you have 400 unsuccessful due to people being on vacation and you want to scan 100 more, it will retry all 500 decreasing my success rate on the 100 that I actually want.  at a successrate of 7-15% it would take me about 7 scans to get the hundred because between 400-500 are being scanned everytime.

When I enter machine manually one by one and try to scan 50, I can hit a success rate of 90%.

My major problem seems to be RPC server unavailable, and I have grinded my way through this so that I have inventoried about 1400 of my 2000, by re-running the inventory over and over about 15 times a day for the last 4 days.  It's tedious but I have managed to get most of it done while waiting for answers.

• Edited by Sean.B Wednesday, August 13, 2008 8:36 PM added more
    Wednesday, August 13, 2008 8:29 PM