Unsolicited Remote Assistance RRS feed

• Question

• Since upgrading to Windows 10, I am no longer able to offer remote assistance. Typically I would launch a .bat file ("%windir%\system32\msra.exe /offerra") and enter the device name i the window. When I launch the .bat file it immediately goes away. If I go into msra and use "Advanced Connection Option for Help Desk" and enter the device name, I immediately get a pop up error.... The only thing that has changed is me upgrading to Win10. Is there a setting somewhere that would be blocking this? I turned off Defender but that does not seem to be the issue. 

Friday, February 12, 2016 8:27 PM

All replies

• The quote around the command in a batch file does nothing for me as well. Do you include the quotes? In a command prompt with the quotes give The directory name is invalid.

Launching msra selecting Advanced Connection Option for Help Desk" works on my system to give screen to put in a device name. What error do you get? What version of Windows 10, i.e. home \ pro 32x 64x and build number?

Friday, February 12, 2016 8:59 PM
  • Hi,

Have installed any 3rd party security application on previous version of Windows?

If so, make sure all related files are removed from your computer. Also, you can test this issue in clean boot.

How to perform a clean boot
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

If the issue doesn’t appear, you can determine which one can be the cause by using dichotomy in MSconfig. Checking on half of Non-Microsoft service and restart, determining which half of the services cause the issue and repeating to check half of the problematic half services.

Also, to make sure all system components are fine, please run following commands to scan and repair:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
    SFC /scannow

If there is any error, post back the DISM.log and CBS.log onto OneDrive and share the link here for our research.

In addition, please also check the Event log under RemoteAssistant:

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 15, 2016 2:40 PM
  • HI,

I have no 3rd party security software installed

I checked Event Viewer and this is the error message...

There was a problem interacting with COM object 833E4010-AFF7-4AC3-AAC2-9F24C1457BCE.  An outdated version might be installed, or the component might not be installed at all.

I was able to work around the Remote Assistance issue by turning off UAC. This comes with its own set of issues though. The only way to completely turn off UAC in Win10 is via Regedit and when it is turned off it prevents the use of Windows Apps like Edge, the calculator, accessing the Windows Store etc.. 

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 2:02 PM
  • One other thing. I also get the screen to put in a device name when I go to msra and selecting Advanced Connection Option for Help Desk but then I get an error message when I try to connect (listed below)...

I do not have issue with any of this with UAC off. There has to be a setting that will allow me to offer unsolicited remote assistance and not disable the use of Windows Apps. 

Your offer to help could not be completed
    Either remote assistance is unavailable to find the remote computer or you do not have permission to connect to the remote computer. Verify that the computer name and permissions are correct, and then try again. 

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 3:03 PM
  • Anyone from Microsoft care to weigh in on this? We have Win10 Pro devices and none of them can get remote assistance working unless UAC is set to "0". This is less than ideal as it prevents Apps from opening. 

JA

Friday, September 30, 2016 4:51 PM