Is it possible to remove the shortcut to a users profile from the drop down in the Windows explorer address bar? RRS feed

• Question

• We have a large deployment of Windows 7 machines all managed by group policies.  All users have their Documents redirected to a file server as well as their other key libraries i.e. Music, videos, pictures, downloads, favourites etc - despite this users are continually saving files into their roaming profile.  What I would like to do is, remove the shortcut to a users profile from the windows address bar to try and dissuade users from saving into their profile - please see the image below;

I can't find any group policy settings to remove this link?

Hope you can help

Thanks

Ash

Friday, February 12, 2016 1:27 PM

All replies

• Hi Smasher82

Just like you, I have not find any group policy settings to implement it yet.  So I think maybe the shortcut can be removed by modifying registry.
    I will use Process Monitor to detect the related registry key and test it. Due to the complex process, it may take some time, I would appreciate it if you could understand that.

Also, if you find a solution on your own, please share your experience and solution here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.

Best regards. 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 15, 2016 10:36 AM
  • Hi Smasher82,

I have tried to capture the related registry key by using Process Monitor without results. If you find a method to implement it and share it here we would appreciate it very much.

Best regards.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 10:14 AM
  • Can anybody else shed any light on this query?

Thanks

Ash

Wednesday, July 13, 2016 8:55 AM