none
Route internal Exchange mail to external server (same user same domain)

Question

• Hello,

On my Exchange 2013, i have a domain (domainA.com). This domain exists in my environment and for many reasons, I will always exist.

The domainA also exists in another mail system. 

In the two environments I have user1@domainA.com.

When I send a mail with Outlook/OWA to this user, I don't want the mail go in the Exchange mailbox but in the other mail system's mailbox.

I understand when the user exists in the Exchange, the mail will deliver to the Exchange mailbox, any solution to bypass Exchange ?

I tried : 

- delete accepted domain

- create external relay in Outbound Connector

- create MX records in my internal DNS

Many thanks

Friday, November 20, 2015 5:05 PM

Answers

• Short answer - no.

Exchange will always try to deliver to an internal mailbox first. Nothing you can do to stop that.

Therefore you need to decide where the email is going to end up. If you don't want it to end up in Exchange then remove the address.

Simon.

Simon Butler, Exchange MVP
    Blog | Exchange Resources | In the UK? Hire Me.

Friday, November 20, 2015 7:47 PM
  • Hi Arthur,

Thank you for your question.

In addition above suggestion, I will give you more details.

When we send email to others, Exchange will retrieve AD to check if the recipient is existed in AD. If recipient could be retrieved in AD, Exchange will deliver the email to internal recipient directly. If not, Exchange will deliver it to external (Internet).

In your case, Exchange retrieve User2 in domainA, so Exchange will not deliver email to External whatever you do.

Best Regard,

Jim Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Jim Xu
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, November 23, 2015 1:49 AM

All replies

• Short answer - no.

Exchange will always try to deliver to an internal mailbox first. Nothing you can do to stop that.

Therefore you need to decide where the email is going to end up. If you don't want it to end up in Exchange then remove the address.

Simon.

Simon Butler, Exchange MVP
    Blog | Exchange Resources | In the UK? Hire Me.

Friday, November 20, 2015 7:47 PM
  • Hi Arthur,

Thank you for your question.

In addition above suggestion, I will give you more details.

When we send email to others, Exchange will retrieve AD to check if the recipient is existed in AD. If recipient could be retrieved in AD, Exchange will deliver the email to internal recipient directly. If not, Exchange will deliver it to external (Internet).

In your case, Exchange retrieve User2 in domainA, so Exchange will not deliver email to External whatever you do.

Best Regard,

Jim Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Jim Xu
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, November 23, 2015 1:49 AM