How to move email from only one account to a specified folder when you have an email account with two addresses. RRS feed

• Question

• I have an email account that uses both btkach@parksville.ca and administrator@parksville.ca as addresses.

However, I cannot differentiate which emails are being sent to administrator@parksville.ca.

I wanted to create a rule that would move administrator@parksville.ca to a folder called Admin.

However this doesn't work in Outlook Rules, since I cannot find a rule that will check the To: address of an incoming email.  There is one that will check the account, but not the actual address.

Any ideas?

Thank you,

Bill Wearing many hats gets uncomfortable.

Wednesday, May 31, 2017 5:40 PM

Answers

• Hi kshaeta,

>> It would not find that phrase in the recipients address. It seems to only search on the Display Name or "Pretty Name" of the email.

I did further test and notice the same situation. At first I was thinking if we can show email address not just display name in To fields, but it seems that this is not possible accoding to my research. 

An alternative I can think of is that we may try using the with specific words in the message header rule to see the result:

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by kshaeta Monday, June 5, 2017 3:40 PM
    Saturday, June 3, 2017 8:45 AM

All replies

• Hi kshaeta,

>> I wanted to create a rule that would move administrator@parksville.ca to a folder called Admin.

How about trying to use the rule(client-only) below and check if it can meet your requirement?

1. Go to Home > Rules > Manage Rules & Alerts > New Rule.
    2. Select Apply rule on messages I receive, click Next:

3. Select With specific words in the recipient's address, click on specific words, type administrator@parksville.ca, click Add, OK:

4. Click OK, select move it to the specific folder and set it as moving mails to Admin folder:

Hope this can be helpful.

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, June 1, 2017 3:22 AM
  • Hi Yuri, thanks for your answer it's great.

Unfortunately that is exactly the solution I had used, and it did not work.

It would not find that phrase in the recipients address.

It seems to only search on the Display Name or "Pretty Name" of the email.

So if you have sent an email to "Computer Dept; Upper Management; Custodial Person"

And the Custodial Person had the address bob@mops.com, if you search for bob, it will not find anything.

However, if you search for Custodial, it will return all those emails with custodial in the name.

So the problem is trying to filter on the actual address, if it is possible.

Thursday, June 1, 2017 4:48 PM
  • Hi kshaeta,

>> It would not find that phrase in the recipients address. It seems to only search on the Display Name or "Pretty Name" of the email.

I did further test and notice the same situation. At first I was thinking if we can show email address not just display name in To fields, but it seems that this is not possible accoding to my research. 

An alternative I can think of is that we may try using the with specific words in the message header rule to see the result:

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

• Marked as answer by kshaeta Monday, June 5, 2017 3:40 PM
    Saturday, June 3, 2017 8:45 AM
  • That worked!

Thanks!

Monday, June 5, 2017 3:40 PM
  • Hi kshaeta,

You're welcome :)

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

Tuesday, June 6, 2017 1:32 AM