none
Redundancy failed error RRS feed

• Question

• My (Win10) system volume is mirrored, using the system software.
    This morning, in the disk-management applet, I noticed that the system disk (2 partitions) gives an error: "redundancy failed", which I take to mean the disks are out of sync.
    My question is: how to proceed without causing damage to the system? (I'm a bit wary of these procedures as I once managed to mirror a damaged system onto a good one:-)
    Advice on the web seems to always suppose that one of the disks is indicated as 'faulty' or 'critical', but that's not the case; both disks are 'Online'

Further info: I looked at disk-management because I'd noticed various anomalies: the data shares are unavailable over the network and Explorer hangs; big problem, especially together.
    BTW, my data are on a seperate (mirrorred) set, which is fine.
    Server-software, like my media server, webserver, seems to function OK too.

Should I break the mirror? Try to 'reactivate' the volume? Thanks for your advice!
    Monday, November 25, 2019 4:15 PM

All replies

• See:

Troubleshooting Disk Management

S.Sengupta,Microsoft MVP Windows and Devices for IT, Windows Insider MVP

Tuesday, November 26, 2019 12:25 AM
  • Thanks for the link, but none of the cases discussed matches my problem; there is no indication which disk has a problem; just this message 'failed redundancy'.
    Hans

Tuesday, November 26, 2019 12:29 PM
  • I agree with your idea, luckily your data is fine, so:

From an elevated command prompt run diskpart. Once you're in diskpart, run detail disk and detail volume after selecting the appropriate disk/volume using the select command. This should list the health state of each disk.

Then try to reactivate Disk.

There is a good link worth reading.

https://www.serverbrain.org/administration-practice-2003/fixing-raid-redundancy-failures.html

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 27, 2019 6:26 AM
  • Thanks for your advice, Teemo. I used diskpart: it reports both disks as 'healthy'.
    The link you provided wasn't much help as it, as other articles, departed from the supposition that, somehow, I could tell which disk was responsible for the 'failed redundancy' error. But that's the problem: I can't.

Meanwhile, for lack of a better strategy, I broke the mirror; then reinstalled it. No problems: after some hours of resynchronising my system once more looks completely OK.
    But of course I know at least one disk is problematic. I wish Windows would let me know WHICH DISK caused the error.
    Anyway, I will replace both disks with new ones. I've got a 50% chance of replacing the 'problematic' disk first; I hope I choose the right one.
    Hans

Thursday, November 28, 2019 3:22 PM
  • A good idea, if you need further assistance, feel free to let me know. 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, December 3, 2019 9:00 AM