none
Server Error in '/ecp' Application. The file '/ecp/DDI/DDIService.svc' does not exist. RRS feed

• Question

• When attempting to log into Exchange Admin Center the following error is received:

Server Error in '/ecp' Application.

The file '/ecp/DDI/DDIService.svc' does not exist.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. 

Exception Details: System.Web.HttpException: The file '/ecp/DDI/DDIService.svc' does not exist.

Source Error: 
    The source code that generated this unhandled exception can only be shown when compiled in debug mode. To enable this, please follow one of the below steps, then request the URL:

1. Add a "Debug=true" directive at the top of the file that generated the error. Example:

<%@ Page Language="C#" Debug="true" %>

or:

2) Add the following section to the configuration file of your application:

<configuration>
       <system.web>
           <compilation debug="true"/>
       </system.web>
    </configuration>

Note that this second technique will cause all files within a given application to be compiled in debug mode. The first technique will cause only that particular file to be compiled in debug mode.

Important: Running applications in debug mode does incur a memory/performance overhead. You should make sure that an application has debugging disabled before deploying into production scenario.

Stack Trace: 
    [HttpException (0x80004005): The file '/ecp/DDI/DDIService.svc' does not exist.]
       System.Web.UI.Util.CheckVirtualFileExists(VirtualPath virtualPath) +162
       System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVPathBuildResultInternal(VirtualPath virtualPath, Boolean noBuild, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean allowBuildInPrecompile, Boolean throwIfNotFound, Boolean ensureIsUpToDate) +146
       System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVPathBuildResultWithNoAssert(HttpContext context, VirtualPath virtualPath, Boolean noBuild, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean allowBuildInPrecompile, Boolean throwIfNotFound, Boolean ensureIsUpToDate) +143
       System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVPathBuildResult(HttpContext context, VirtualPath virtualPath, Boolean noBuild, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean allowBuildInPrecompile, Boolean ensureIsUpToDate) +129
       System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetCompiledCustomString(String virtualPath) +44
       Microsoft.Exchange.Management.ControlPanel.WebServiceReferenceTypeConverter.GetServiceClass(String serviceUrl) +23
       Microsoft.Exchange.Management.ControlPanel.WebServiceReference.get_ServiceType() +76
       Microsoft.Exchange.Management.ControlPanel.WebServiceReference.GetList(DDIParameters filter, SortOptions sort) +27
       Microsoft.Exchange.Management.ControlPanel.OrganizationCache.LoadTargetDeliveryDomain(AddValueHandler addValue, LogErrorHandler logError) +97
       Microsoft.Exchange.Management.ControlPanel.OrganizationCache.TryGetValue(String key, T& value) +404
       Microsoft.Exchange.Management.ControlPanel._Default.RenderMetroTopNav() +363
       ASP.default_aspx.__RendermainForm(HtmlTextWriter __w, Control parameterContainer) +638
       System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildrenInternal(HtmlTextWriter writer, ICollection children) +117
       System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlForm.RenderChildren(HtmlTextWriter writer) +208
       System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlContainerControl.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer) +47
       System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControlInternal(HtmlTextWriter writer, ControlAdapter adapter) +132
       System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlForm.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer) +69
       ASP.default_aspx.__Render__control1(HtmlTextWriter __w, Control parameterContainer) +458
       System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildrenInternal(HtmlTextWriter writer, ICollection children) +117
       System.Web.UI.Page.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer) +39
       System.Web.UI.Adapters.ControlAdapter.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer) +23
       System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControlInternal(HtmlTextWriter writer, ControlAdapter adapter) +91
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +9490

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.7.3282.0

I have tried to resolve by rebuilding the ECP virtual directory via Exchange Management Shell.  Rebuild was successful, but issue remains.

Also be aware that OWA works without error.

Monday, June 17, 2019 5:58 AM

Answers

• How many Exchange servers in your organization? Which URL that you used to login ECP? Do you try to login ECP with "https://localhost/ecp"?

If you still cannot open ECP, you would suggest you also try to recreate ECP Back End virtual directory.

What is the version of your Exchange server? You can also try to update it the latest version, update could repair some issue which caused by file missing or wrong configuration.

Regards,

Kyle Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, June 27, 2019 7:01 AM

All replies

• Hi

Can you open the ECP from another server without error?

What spec is your Exchange 2016 server? enough memory and CPU?

Hope this helps. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, June 17, 2019 4:34 PM
  • I have tried from another server and get the same error message at the same point (upon attempting to log into Exchange Admin Console.  The server is relatively new (6-9 months) so I'm sure the specs are sufficient.  Below are the existing specs:

Intel Xeon E5-2620 v4

32GB Memory

4TB hard drive (more than 50% free)

Should the DDIService.svc file be found somewhere?  May be a stupid question, but I expected to find that file in the DDI folder and couldn't find it there.

Monday, June 17, 2019 8:53 PM
  • Hi,

Did you modify ECP configuration before?

In this scenario, I would suggest you recreate ECP virtual directory directly:

Remove-EcpVirtualDirectory -Identity “ex2016\ecp (Default Web Site)”
    New-EcpVirtualDirectory  -InternalUrl “https://mail.contoso.com/ecp”

Here is default authentication methods in my environment:

Regards,

Kyle Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, June 19, 2019 8:03 AM
  • Kyle,

Thanks for the suggestion and your time.  I had tried this solution previously, but went ahead and tried it again, just to be on the safe side.  Same result.  I even tried doing an IISReset after rebuilding the ECP directory.

I'm a bit curious, can you confirm in your environment if there is a DDIService.svc file in the C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\ClientAccess\ecp\DDI folder?  I only have XAML files in that folder, and I'm just wondering if there is a missing file.  Let me know.

Thanks again for your time and suggestions.

Vince

Thursday, June 20, 2019 12:16 PM
  • Anyone else have any other suggestions?
    Saturday, June 22, 2019 12:46 AM
  • Yes, I have checked it before, there doesn't exist such a folder. So, I guess you may modify ECP configuration before.

Do you mean that you have recreated ECP virtual directory? What is the phenomenon when you open ECP now?

Regards,

Kyle Xu

Monday, June 24, 2019 2:12 AM
  • I have not modified ECP.  I have completed the steps you outlined to remove and recreate the ECP virtual directory.  I still receive the same error message when attempting to sign into ECP site as before (as I have outlined above).

Hoping you have another suggestion to try.  Let me know.

Vince

Monday, June 24, 2019 4:52 AM
  • How many Exchange servers in your organization? Which URL that you used to login ECP? Do you try to login ECP with "https://localhost/ecp"?

If you still cannot open ECP, you would suggest you also try to recreate ECP Back End virtual directory.

What is the version of your Exchange server? You can also try to update it the latest version, update could repair some issue which caused by file missing or wrong configuration.

Regards,

Kyle Xu

Thursday, June 27, 2019 7:01 AM
  • Kyle,

Thanks for responding.  This is the only Exchange server in the organization.  I have tried multiple URL's to sign in.  All produce the same error.  I have tried the link that is used when you click the Exchange Administrative Center from the start menu.  I have also tried the following:

https://localhost/ecp

https://IPADDRESS/ecp 

https://SERVERNAME/ecp

https://SERVERNAME.DOMAIN.LOCAL/ecp

https://SERVERFQDN.COM/ecp

All produce the same error.  Below is the actual URL that is presented when accessing the Exchange Administrative Center and what is redirected to when going to https://localhost/ecp:

https://localhost/owa/auth/logon.aspx?replaceCurrent=1&url=https%3a%2f%2flocalhost%2fecp

Regarding recreating the ECP back end virtual directory.  That sounds promising.  Do you have instructions or an article I can read to learn how to perform this step?  Let me know.

Exchange version is 2016.  AdminDisplayVersion returns: Version 15.1 (Build 1591.10).  I see this is a couple of versions old.  I'll plan on upgrading to 15.1.1779.2 this week and update when that is complete.  I would still like to get instructions in rebuilding the ECP back end virtual directory so I can perform that step and update this thread if the 15.1.1779.2 update doesn't make any difference.

Thanks again for all your assistance.  Hopefully one of these items resolves the issue.

Vince

Signet Computer Corporation

Monday, July 1, 2019 1:50 PM
  • On a (possibly) related issue, I have noticed that users are complaining that searching from within Outlook are returning "something went wrong."  I have diagnosed this down to an issue with "Server Assisted Search" and instituted a workaround (by disabling in registry) on workstations.  I haven't had a chance to delve into it further, but figured I would mention it in case it is related?  Thoughts?

Vince

Signet Computer Corporation

Monday, July 1, 2019 2:07 PM
  • After installing the most recent update (Exchange 2016 CU13) the problem is resolved.  I did check following the upgrade and found that there is now a DDIService.svc file in the folder listed above.  I'm not sure what happened to it, but if it happens again, I'll plan on restoring the most recent version of the file from a backup.  Hope this helps someone down the road.

Vince

Monday, July 15, 2019 12:40 AM
  • After installing the most recent update (Exchange 2016 CU13) the problem is resolved.  I did check following the upgrade and found that there is now a DDIService.svc file in the folder listed above.  I'm not sure what happened to it, but if it happens again, I'll plan on restoring the most recent version of the file from a backup.  Hope this helps someone down the road.

Vince

Thanks for your updating and sharing.

Regards,

Kyle Xu

23 hours 59 minutes ago