none
BCWS showing zero for non labor tasks RRS feed

• Question

• I have a new project and have the status date as of April 1, 2017. I have budget in March of 2017 for several tasks.  BCWS is matching my Baseline Cost totals for all of the labor resources but for every single non labor task (material, subcontractor, travel) the BCWS is showing 0 but the Baseline Cost is showing the correct amount for March.

I don't have any non labor and labor combined on any tasks.  Tasks are either all labor or all non labor.

In the resource sheet I have labor categories and labor rates and under type Work is selected

For the non labor I have the type set to Cost

I don't know what I need to do in order to get the BCWS to calculate for all of the non labor tasks.  Thanks in advance to anyone that might have a solution or cause for this issue.

Thursday, March 23, 2017 10:38 PM

Answers

• Yes, you have discovered that cost type resources don't get counted in EV. Also, I haven't checked this but you may find that fixed cost costs on tasks don't get counted either. In the old days before there was a cost type resource, we did what you have done which is fake it with a material at $1, and I still do that.

There is another recent EV post nearby at https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/029f8280-ed16-49d7-8d17-756267ae2110/earned-value-calculated-correctly-but-plotted-as-zero-in-project-2016-earned-value-report?forum=projectprofessional2010general

You won't have much re-typing really, mainly copy/paste and fill down ctrl-D.

Try grouping by resource names first to make it easier.

Friday, March 24, 2017 12:01 AM

All replies

• I was able to find a work around by creating a new resource name and using Material as the type. I set a Std. Rate of $1.

I can then input units instead of total cost and it prices it out the same way and now BCWS calculates correctly.  This seems strange to have to call Travel and Subcontractors as Material and it is going to cause me a lot of retyping but at least BCWS calculates correctly now.

Thursday, March 23, 2017 11:07 PM
  • Yes, you have discovered that cost type resources don't get counted in EV. Also, I haven't checked this but you may find that fixed cost costs on tasks don't get counted either. In the old days before there was a cost type resource, we did what you have done which is fake it with a material at $1, and I still do that.

There is another recent EV post nearby at https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/029f8280-ed16-49d7-8d17-756267ae2110/earned-value-calculated-correctly-but-plotted-as-zero-in-project-2016-earned-value-report?forum=projectprofessional2010general

You won't have much re-typing really, mainly copy/paste and fill down ctrl-D.

Try grouping by resource names first to make it easier.

Friday, March 24, 2017 12:01 AM
  • Thank you for your response.  I managed to work my way through the schedule and everything seems to be calculating correctly now.

Frustrating but it works.

Friday, March 24, 2017 12:09 AM
  • Hi Trevor, I’m running into this issue now, was this fixed or are you still using the same workaround? Best, John
    Thursday, October 1, 2020 5:35 AM