none
Timesheet and project server issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

For my timesheet in PWA 2013, Team members can fill out timesheets for project work. However, the progress they submit could not be updated in the Project server? For instance, in the timesheet, task A has been done 20 hours. I filled in the timesheet for this task and submit. Also, it has been approved. However, the task from the project server still show me 0 hours on "Actual work".

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

cc

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 4:57 PM

Answers

• Hi SillyBird--

First question: did you activated the SEM (Single Entry Mode)? This allows merging the timesheet feature with the task update feature.

Note that both features (timesheet and task update) require an approval. The timesheet by the timesheet manager (resource parameter) and the task update by the status manager (project owner).

Thus when you say that timesheet has been approved, is it by the timesheet manager? the status manager? Both? In the approval history, can you vizualise the task approval status by the status manager?

Also when you say that Project Server still shows you 0 actual work, are you looking at the project schedule in PWA or in Project Pro? Note in order to be visible by the team members, the task update needs to be published by the project manager. In case he didn't do it, the approved task progress will not be pushed into the publish version of the project.

Please come back to use with some clarifications and we'll be pleased to help you.

Hope this helps.

Guillaume Rouyre - MBA, MCP, MCTS

• Marked as answer by SillyBird Wednesday, March 26, 2014 7:44 PM
    Wednesday, March 26, 2014 5:07 PM

All replies

• Hi SillyBird--

First question: did you activated the SEM (Single Entry Mode)? This allows merging the timesheet feature with the task update feature.

Note that both features (timesheet and task update) require an approval. The timesheet by the timesheet manager (resource parameter) and the task update by the status manager (project owner).

Thus when you say that timesheet has been approved, is it by the timesheet manager? the status manager? Both? In the approval history, can you vizualise the task approval status by the status manager?

Also when you say that Project Server still shows you 0 actual work, are you looking at the project schedule in PWA or in Project Pro? Note in order to be visible by the team members, the task update needs to be published by the project manager. In case he didn't do it, the approved task progress will not be pushed into the publish version of the project.

Please come back to use with some clarifications and we'll be pleased to help you.

Hope this helps.

• Marked as answer by SillyBird Wednesday, March 26, 2014 7:44 PM
    Wednesday, March 26, 2014 5:07 PM
  • Hi Guillaume,

Thanks for your reply. The SEM has been activated. The timesheet has been approved by timesheet manager. I also could find the approval status. After the timesheet approved, I tried to look at the project schedule in Project Pro which opened from PWA. I suppose that once the timesheet is approved, the schedule should be updated automatically. Because the timesheet is link to PWA, and the Project Pro is from the Projects website. Is that right? Well, I also want to know what is "status manager". The one I knew is timesheet manager. Where could I set "status manager"?

Thanks again!

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 6:06 PM
  • Hi SillyBird,

So I guess we found what was not going as expected in your case. First of all, some documentation for you to read. The second link shows you the SEM process

• http://blogs.msdn.com/b/project/archive/2009/11/23/time-tracking-in-project-server-2010.aspx
    • http://khurramjamshed.blogspot.ca/2011/02/project-server-task-and-timesheet.html

In the SEM process, there are 2 APPROVALS: 

1. first the timesheet manager approves the timesheet (ie time on project and administrative time)
    2. then (the sequencing can be forced by an option in the timesheet configuration in server settings) the status manager approves only the task updates

Finally the project manager (that is usually the status manager) opens the project plan that contains the approved actuals, updates the remaining work, publishes and closes the project plan for the team members to have in PWA the new/updated assignments.

Now some links about the status manager:

• http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/project-help/change-the-manager-of-an-enterprise-project-HA010113077.aspx
    • http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/project-help/status-manager-task-field-HA010167477.aspx

Basically the status manager will be the task update approver, meaning the one that will receive in the approval center the task updates for approval. He is by default the user that created the project plan, meaning probably the project manager (but can be a PMO officer). The status manager can only be changed in MS Project Pro (in case the project initiator is not the PM), inserting the "status manager" column.

Be aware that it has to be changed by the user that wants to be status manager himself. It cannot be done by a third person (such as an admin) due to the fact that the status manager column in MS Project Pro proposes a list of only 2 users : the active user (that currently edits the project) and the current status manager.

Note also that when you change the status manager value in Project Pro, it has to be done for every task (easily doable by draging the value from the first to the last cell, like in Excel). Then new tasks will have the new status manager.

Hope this helps.

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 6:21 PM
  • Hi Guillanme,

Thanks for your help! That issue has been solved. Just I have one more question. I wonder how to set up timesheet alert and reminder in PWA 2013. I searched out in SharePoint 2010, there is a feature " timesheet alert and reminder" while no such setting in the 2013. Could you know how to do that? Thanks!

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 7:47 PM
  • hi

how do you solve this issue?

peardong

Monday, November 20, 2017 7:42 AM