none
Results Ranking RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I want to modify the ranking of the results or even sort the results in somehow, is there any way to do that in fast?

another question :

Can i raise the ranking of some property of the documents?  for example:

I want to show to the user firstly the results matches the titles then the results matches the body or by other words i want fast to search first in titles then in body

how to do that?

thanks 

Ihab Ramadan

Sunday, February 3, 2013 2:41 PM

Answers

• Okay, now it's clear.

When Dynamic Rank is less than 0 (in your case due to  xrank -4000 for txt files) it doesn't contribute to final score. Freshness is considered as a separate component(not inside dynamic rank).

And again, when Dynamic Rank is 0 (less than 0) Total Rank = Freshness + Static / 16. The representation of this is fixed in new version, I will try to upload it to codeplex asap.

As for OR("نادى" , xrank("مصر" , "مصر" , boost=500)) - could you please share the content of RAW ranklog on http://pastebin.com/, I will have a look why it doesn't show up.

Please mark this as answer if it helps. My Blog

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 1:38 PM

All replies

• Hi, 

every managed property has it's own level of importance(impact on final rank) which can be configured via powershell. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff191254(v=office.14).aspx

You can achieve what you described by

However it's not recommended without full understanding of how ranking occurs. Let me know what is your business usecase that resulted in such requirements for ranking? probably there's a better, more natural way to achieve it.

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 11:01 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks Alexey for reply

My usecase is like that, i want to give my managed property a low rank to be at the end of the results the user get as it is considered a related data not exact data so i want to show the exact match first then the results came from my managed property

thanks

Ihab Ramadan

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 11:24 AM
  • Hi, 

Importance Level is the solution that was designed exactly for your case, you just need to pay more attention to weights.

Here's a draft plan that may help you:

1) Map your property to level "1" and remap body and other props that sit there to an upper level.

2) Increase weights for levels from "2" to "7" to distinguish difference from "1" level.

3) Consider that default weight for importance level "1" has a mistake which should be fixed "http://techmikael.blogspot.com/2011/06/error-in-default-important-level.html".

Another option (more advanced) is to use Drilling Level, and reconfiguring StopWordThreshold to match your index size.

Please mind using http://fs4splogger.codeplex.com/  to control results of your changes.

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 12:29 PM
  • Hi,

Your reply is appreciated , I did all the mentioned steps but i did not found any change in the results it has the same ranking 

as you see in the dynamic rank score there is the freshness score only 

and all the hits has the same ranking score 

Am i miss something?

thanks

Ihab Ramadan

Sunday, February 17, 2013 4:13 PM
  • Hi,

your picture looks like there was no hit in any managed property, you will get the same picture if you will search for "#". What was the query for your picture?

Total rank of 742 should not confuse you, actually it's a sum of Freshness + Static Rank/16=716+430/16=716+24=742, I've already found this issue and new version of QueryLogger will have this built in(me or Mikael will notify about it). "divided by 16" thing happens when dynamic rank (excluding freshness) is 0.

So basically if you do a keyword search -  this picture is an indication of some problems. Did you do some manipulation with ranking schema?

Sunday, February 17, 2013 7:33 PM
  • Hi,

The query hit a managed property i made myself in hit number 3, the query was "مصر" which is Egypt in Arabic, i did not change anything in ranking schema, my questions is why all have the same ranking score. if there is no difference in the ranking score why he choose this order exactly why hit number 3 is not the last hit

Ihab Ramadan

Sunday, February 17, 2013 9:23 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry i forgot to ask about where is the other dynamic ranking fields like context score and proximity score is there something i miss 

thanks

Ihab Ramadan

Sunday, February 17, 2013 9:34 PM
  • Hi,

could you try a query in English charaset?

And share the content from RankLog RAW tab for both English and Epypt cases?

Monday, February 18, 2013 7:56 AM
  • Here it is

this is by "CNN" as a Query

this is for مصر as a query

i think they are the same also in the rank log are the same that is the problem

Ihab Ramadan

Monday, February 18, 2013 10:53 AM
  • Hello Ihab, 

there's definitely something wrong in your deployment, because results should look differently.

I've identified a similar issue  a while ago, but still no luck in resolving it.

Monday, February 18, 2013 12:28 PM
  • Thanks Alexey i will try to find the problem and inform you if i found a solutin

Ihab Ramadan

Monday, February 18, 2013 1:12 PM
  • Hi,

I fixed the problem of not showing the other ranking scores and i can see them here

the search query was OR("نادى" , xrank("مصر" , "مصر" , boost=500)) i can see the 500 point in the rank log but recognize the total rank it is the same which did not make any sense. can any one explain why all still have the same total rank

Ihab Ramadan

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 12:02 PM
  • Okay, now it's clear.

When Dynamic Rank is less than 0 (in your case due to  xrank -4000 for txt files) it doesn't contribute to final score. Freshness is considered as a separate component(not inside dynamic rank).

And again, when Dynamic Rank is 0 (less than 0) Total Rank = Freshness + Static / 16. The representation of this is fixed in new version, I will try to upload it to codeplex asap.

As for OR("نادى" , xrank("مصر" , "مصر" , boost=500)) - could you please share the content of RAW ranklog on http://pastebin.com/, I will have a look why it doesn't show up.

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 1:38 PM
  • Thank you very much Alexey

I solved the problem i increased the xrank boost to 5000 to overcome the -4000 for txt files and it works

thank you for your helpful replies 

Ihab Ramadan

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 3:05 PM
  • how did you make the rank score to appear?

in my FS4SP it only shows the default ranks

----------------------- Sharepoint Newbie

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 3:40 AM
  • Hi,

if you mean total rank score it always appear using the Querylogger 

Ihab Ramadan

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 1:49 PM
  • I created a new managedproperty

but when I search and look at the Query Logger, it doesnt show this ResolvedTickets. It only shows the 4 default (hwboost, docrank, siterank, urldepthrank)

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 2:53 PM
  • This is a "know issue" in query logger - it uses hardcoded components for static rank. Fixed in new version, will be released soon.

Anyway, it may not show the component, but total rank should be extracted from ranklog, not calculated. Please share the content of RAW ranklog to troubleshoot (you can use pastebin.com to post your obfuscated content). It would really help to resolve your issue.

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 5:34 PM
  • Hi Alexey

heres the link http://pastebin.com/juw5thQ3

maybe you can reply in my original thread http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/fastsharepoint/thread/88c6ae8b-e304-40f9-bcfb-33584c5d5466

I already performed the steps, check my latest reply.

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 7:15 AM