none
Connect activity to multiple predecessors/successors RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I want to connect one activity to drive several successors. The way that I currently see available to connecting the successors one by one. is there an option to do this in a "batch" mode?

thanks,

Yuval

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 6:49 AM

Answers

All replies

• Yuval --

No, there is no way to do a batch process to connect a single task as a Predecessor task to multiple Successor tasks.  If you select the batch of tasks using either the Control key or the Shift key, and then link the tasks, Microsoft Project assumes the selected tasks are a chain of events that occur in sequence.  My best advice is to link the Predecessor task to each Successor task individually.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 11:16 AM
  • I was afraid that is the case.

does anyone use VBA to do that?

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 1:13 PM
  • Yuval --

In theory, VBA could be used for this.  The question would be how VBA code would know which tasks to link.  But yes, if you know how to write code in Microsoft Project VBA, you could create an automated solution.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 1:22 PM
  • Yuval:

Are you working in Project client or PWA? If you are working in PWA, you can insert the successor column and type the task numbers separated by a comma.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG

Thursday, May 8, 2014 9:02 PM
  • Call me late to the PWA game, but where or how do you insert the successor field?  

I suspect it may not be set up 100% well, I can see details in task list but cannot edit except in PWA.  I can click a link button for a task, but cannot set multiple dependencies, and I can see percent complete but can only click the 25, 50, 75, 100 pc complete buttons.

I see various gant views as well, but can see in the projects where to change the view.

sorry - so many questions, bit I think it boils down to where do I edit the project task/gantt view?

--d

Tuesday, December 1, 2015 6:39 AM
  • David --

You need to use Microsoft Project Professional for the full planning and management capabilities of Project Server/Project Online.  Using the PWA interface only offers you a reduced feature set such as you are experiencing.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Tuesday, December 1, 2015 5:33 PM
  • David:

To change the view configurations for PWA, click the gear icon upper right corner and select PWA Settings. In the Look and Feel section, you will see the manage views section. You might want to pickup a copy of my Implementing and Administering book. Also, you should get a copy of Project Pro for Office 365 if you are going to do heavy duty scheduling as Dale suggests. There are some configurations of PWA that you cannot access without the client.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG

Thursday, December 10, 2015 11:12 AM