none
Looking for a resource that describes the layout/meaning of binary Windows Registry data for Office Outlook Registry Keys. RRS feed

• General discussion

• Does anyone know if there is a resource that describes the layout/meaning of binary Windows Registry data for Office Outlook Registry Keys associated with common events?

As an example, I have an Outlook add-in that can get disabled for a few different reasons.

When I look at REG_BINARY data associated with the add-in under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\Resiliency\DisabledItems, most of the data makes sense when viewed in the Windows Registry Editor.

I won't go into specific details about the actual data because I am more interested in learning how to fish here, not how to cook this particular fish. But, I will say that it consists of 3 parts: the 2nd part is the human readable full path name to the add-in (ex. C:\Install\MyAddIns\theAddIn.dll) and the 3rd part is the friendly name of the add-in (ex. The Add In.) However, the 1st part renders as gibberish, so it must be data that contains other information. It is this information I am looking to figure out how to parse.  The hex data for the 1st part is: 01 00 00 00 e6 00 00 00 28 00 00 00. And, to reiterate, I'd prefer to parse out the semantics of this on my own using some sort of reference rather than just have an answer to the meaning of this specific string of values.

As a side question surrounding the same topic - I am in the registry quite a bit. Beyond being in Office/Outlook data, I also find myself needing to determine the semantics of other REG_BINARY data that is otherwise not obvious. Is there a general manner in which this is accomplished?

Thank you!

Wanda

Wednesday, October 14, 2020 5:36 PM

All replies