none
Proper way to backup sharepoint RRS feed

• Question

• I have a SP 2010 farm running.  I have one WFE and one sql 2k8 r2 backend server.   I also have installed DPM 2010 to replace my backup exec software.  I am running into some problems with the whole "database name too long" when I try to run SQL level backups through DPM because of the guid's being attached to the database names on many of the databases.  I currently have separate protection groups for sharepoint backup and sql back up.  If I do the sharepoint specific backup, do I need to do the SQL specific backup on those databases?  I also am doing a full backup of the sharepoint server and sql server itself as a hyper-v child.
    Thursday, June 16, 2011 3:37 PM

All replies

• Hi,

about your first question - database name too long - then oly solution I have found so far is to rename them. Not an option for many scenarios I know.

About your second question - sharepoint backup/SQL-DB backup - it depends on your environment. In genereal as you have a sharePoint protection running, all databases which are associated with SharePoint are automatically protected by the SharePoint backup. What should be included (in regards to databases) is defined within the SharePoint config_db. That means those databases cannot (!) be protected by your SQL-DB backup. Those databases are grayed out when you try to create an additional protection group for them.If this is not the case you will have to troublehsoot why they are not included.

So any databases you have for customization for example ... will not be included in your SharePoint backup. Therefor you must create a SQL-DB backup for the rest of the databases. What I recommend is to set the SQL-DB Backup to automatic. That way any new databases which does not belong to SharePoint backup will automatically be added to the SQL-DB backup.

Now I am assuming that the VM backup is done for disaster recovery scenario.

• Proposed as answer by sroe Monday, August 1, 2011 2:01 PM
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 12:46 PM