none
Protect Against Corruption RRS feed

• Question

• I've been giving Project Professional 2016 a spin lately. After working for a few weeks against a document, suddenly the tasks inside become reorganized in a random manner - those that were the group tasks became entries under different ones. The icon showing that the Notes field has data in it also became inconsistent through the same random reordering. There was no apparent pattern as to which items got affected. Opened a case with Microsoft Premier, unfortunately we couldn't get to the cause of the problem. I've also understood no similar mention of this was reported by other users to them so far.

My question is how to protect about corruption inside the file itself ? Would a formerly saved baseline, dating 2 days back before the "reshuffling" would've helped ? Eg is each baseline referencing a separate set of instances for the tasks, or are they all pointing to the same set of instances, whereas if one object becomes corrupted, all baselines follow ? Would Project Server / Project Online help in this case, provided it's not overkill ?

Another thing would be checking the last known good document against the current corrupted one. I've tried the "Compare Projects" menu item, however it simply lists most tasks as being different (based on the fact that indenting is different for most).

Monday, March 7, 2016 10:28 AM

All replies

• Hi Albert,

Actually (and unfortunately), there is no direct answer to your concerns. File corruption may come from a netwrok issue while saving, a corruption from the application or an issue in your project plan.

For the application corruption, you might try to repair MS Project from the control panel. This would be the first operation to do.

For the project plan corruption, depending on the versions, it might be due to various root causes. But we have seen that things like duplicated resources, resources on milestones, circular references, blank lines... might cause trouble.

I don't think (and hope not) that saving a baseline might cause a corruption. 

Then you might consider Project Server or Project Online which will provide you some back up solution (Project Server) but anyway, file corruption is an exception and you should not choose such an enterprise application based on such a criteria. This should definitely correspond to your business need/model and organization strategy.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, MCC |

Monday, March 7, 2016 12:53 PM
  • On top of Guillame's great comments,make sure you have updated Project 2016 with the latest updates and be sure to update regularly. There are usually bugs in any new release of software so be sure to continue updating as well.

Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book
    www.project-systems.co.nz

Wednesday, March 9, 2016 2:22 AM