blue screen of death on brand new L650 Toshiba laptop RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

i've bought my toshiba L655 computer 2 months ago and ever since I got it I've had this recurring problem. Out of the blue the screen goes blue and displays an error message. It says:

"windows has been turned off to prevent damage blablabla"and then.. "STOP: error 0x0000007F (0x0000000000000008, 0x0000000080050033, 0x00000000000006f8, 0xFFFFF0002CD2D91)"

No indication as to where the problem is coming from or what type of problem it is. Thats all the information given.

it then recommends i run system diagnostic utility and check for memory errors which i did. No errors were found on the hardisk or in the memory.

Also I've noticed that it only ever crashes when im watching a movie or listening to music so I concluded that my sound card may be to blame but can't quite be sure. Also when it crashes there is a noise like a mechanical noise which is symptomatic of sound card malfunction. Other than that I don't know what more info i could give.

The error message doesnt mean anything to me its just a bunch of numbers.

Does anyone know what might be causing the problem or what those error codes mean.

Thanks

(ps: its a windows 7 edition)
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 10:13 PM

Answers

• Hi, the error.. "STOP: error 0x0000007F"

points you to this error report on the Msdn knowledgebase. You can also look for clues to your problem there.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff559244(v=VS.85).aspx

Regards, pkn

If my post was helpful - give it a Vote. If it helps solve your problem - propose it as Answer. ;-)
    • Marked as answer by Miya Yao Tuesday, August 23, 2011 2:30 AM
    Friday, August 12, 2011 8:28 AM

All replies

• Since the laptop is new, it should still be under warranty, in which case I would advise contacting Toshiba tech support first before doing anything else to avoid possible costs when the warranty runs out. By contacting them, they'll have a history log of any problems you're having. Then, if you're still having problems when the warranty expires, it may be possible to get it fixed through an extension because of an existing problem.
    As always, back up your personal data before contacting them as quite often, tech support's first "fix" is to restore the laptop to day one.

The 7f error code is a pretty general one, indicating either a software or hardware fault, or both. (Well, really, what else is there?) If you'd like, you can upload the minidump to Skydrive and someone here can look at it and hopefully give you an answer and solution to the actual cause of the problem.

Using Skydrive http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65

Have you been to Toshiba's web site and installed any updates they may have for your make and model laptop? That may fix your problem right away.

Do you have the laptop in an area where it's getting good air circulation? If it's on a soft surface (such as your lap) while watching videos, the air inlets may be block, causing overheating and a BSOD.

Hope you find a solution.

SC Tom

• Proposed as answer by pkn2011 Friday, August 19, 2011 12:41 PM
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 12:01 PM
  • Im afraid i may have voided the warranty already. During the initial days after purchase i spilled liquids over the keyboard while the laptop was on. Since my warranty didnt cover accidental damage i did not send it back cus i thought they would be able to tell that a spill had occured and would charge me for repairs. After a month of non use I put the battery back in and it worked so I thought I'd got lucky but then this started happenning so I fear I may have damaged the hardware.

I will upload the minidump file. Thanks for your help.

Thursday, August 11, 2011 8:02 PM
  • I tried uploading the dmp file but my computer wont let me. It says I don't have permission to open the file but I am the computer's only user and administrator!

how do i get it to let me upload the file?

thx

Thursday, August 11, 2011 8:09 PM

• Copy the dump file to your desktop first, then upload it. I haven't done it in a while, but IIRC, that's how it's done. Someone else may have a better idea.

SC Tom

Friday, August 12, 2011 2:53 AM
  • Take the ownership of that file then upload it to your SkyDrive. Put it in a public folder and reply a folder link here.

1. Open Windows Explorer, and then locate the file or folder you want to take ownership of.

2. Right-click the file or folder, click Properties, and then click the Security tab.

3. Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.

4. Click Edit, and then do one of the following:

• To change the owner to a user or group that is not listed, click Other users and groups and, in Enter the object name to select (examples), type the name of the user or group, and then click OK.

• To change the owner to a user or group that is listed, in the Change owner to box, click the new owner.

5. (Optional) To change the owner of all subcontainers and objects within the tree, select the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box.

Regards,

Miya 

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, August 12, 2011 7:23 AM
  • Hi, the error.. "STOP: error 0x0000007F"

points you to this error report on the Msdn knowledgebase. You can also look for clues to your problem there.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff559244(v=VS.85).aspx

Regards, pkn

If my post was helpful - give it a Vote. If it helps solve your problem - propose it as Answer. ;-)
    • Marked as answer by Miya Yao Tuesday, August 23, 2011 2:30 AM
    Friday, August 12, 2011 8:28 AM
  • Hi,

If you come across the Blue Screen of Death, you can follow the following instructions to solve the issue. First of all, try to restart the system. When the Blue Screen of Death has occurred due to a temporary fault, restarting the computer will fix the issue.

Restarting your computer in the safe mode can fix the problem. After the system boots in safe mode, remove any newly installed software or hardware drivers. Go through the newly installed hardware and ensure whether it has turned on rightly, and also ensure that the hardware drivers are working well with your computer. You can ensure this by checking the hardware compatibility list (HCL).

Running your computer using the last known good configuration option will can also resolve the problem. This will help you to reset the computer. If you have currently set up any hardware, uninstall the hardware and restart the system to check if the problem is resolved. After this scan the computer for viruses.

Get more information and help : http://www.iyogi.co.uk/toshiba/toshiba-blue-screen.html

Hope this information helps you.

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 8:04 AM