vista boots to my documents -- Help needed RRS feed

• Question

• My PC boots up to My Documents always instead of Desktop there is no sidebar no taskbar nothing. I get it started by opening task manager and then explorer. Everything elses is fine on the computer but it doesnt boot up to the Desktop. I tried this but doesnt seem to work 
    'Open the regedit and navigate to this key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
    In the right pane, the data value for "shell" should only be explorer.exe.
    If it is not, click on shell, then the edit tab, then modify and type in:
    explorer.exe'

so please can anyone of you give me a good advice how to get it to boot correctly.

Wednesday, January 27, 2010 1:17 PM

Answers

• Very few legitimate entries are found in AppInit_DLLs . I think it's an infection, download/install/run MBAM from the link in my first reply.

If MBAM doesn’t find it, you should run HijackThis to remove it.

• Marked as answer by Adils3d Thursday, January 28, 2010 5:40 PM
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 1:16 PM

All replies

• Check this other key:
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon. In the right pane check that UserInit contains C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe and the entry ends with a comma.

Malicious programs can be started from this key by appending them and separating them with a comma. If you have other programs there, you are possibly infected and I suggest you download/install/run the free Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware in the left pane, here http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Wednesday, January 27, 2010 1:58 PM
  • Thanks for your suggestion but the key is correct here as well. And it does end with a comma.
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 5:57 PM
  • Here is another key that may be wrong:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows and check in the right pane that there is nothing alongside Load.

Wednesday, January 27, 2010 7:35 PM
  • Thanks again, i wanted to ask you in the right pane it says
    Name                                Type                          Data
    LoadAppInt_DLLs                REG_DWORD                0*00000001(1)

Thats how it looks for me, is this right ....
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 10:43 AM
  • Very few legitimate entries are found in AppInit_DLLs . I think it's an infection, download/install/run MBAM from the link in my first reply.

If MBAM doesn’t find it, you should run HijackThis to remove it.

• Marked as answer by Adils3d Thursday, January 28, 2010 5:40 PM
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 1:16 PM
  • THanks again. I had downloaded the software from the above link and it did scan the complete hard drive. It found 13 infections finally after deleting all the system does start up to the Desktop.
    Thanks a lot for the great software.
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 5:41 PM
  • I'm glad it worked and thank you for taking the time to post back - somewhat unusual these days.
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 6:40 PM