alt-space to move a window - enter to drop & it snaps back RRS feed

• Question

• I have a window that my WSUS displays - the server cleanup - that is larger than the screen.  This is on a Win 7 ultimate x64 system (fully patched) with the monitor at max resolution. 

The bottom of the cleanup window is below the bottom of the screen.  I press alt-space and then Move from the menu.  I then use the up arrow to move the window so I can get to the bottom to resize it.  If I press enter to drop it there or move the mouse it snaps back to the original position.

I've selected "Prevent windows from being automatically arranged when moved to the edge of the screen" and even turned off aero. 

Note that I can move the window partially off screen in every direction and drop it except up.

How can I move the window up partially off screen so I can resize it?  TIA

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 5:20 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet forums.

How about dragging directly to the top of screen with mouse?

This can be caused by screen resolution, please change the screen resolution to see if the issue persists.

Best Regards

Dale Qiao
    TechNet Subscriber Support in forum. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Thursday, August 26, 2010 3:51 AM
  • Is your screen maximized?  If so try setting not as maximized & retry what you did.

Don't forget about Alt+Esc!
    Thursday, August 26, 2010 7:07 AM
  • I can drag it to the top of the screen (the first thing I (or anyone else) would have tried).  The problem is when I need to move the top of the window up beyond the top of the screen.  This can't be done with the mouse as it stops at the top of the screen.

As for screen resolution - reread my intial post.  I'm at maximum resolution already.  Reducing the resolution only makes the problem worse..

Thursday, August 26, 2010 8:12 PM
  • The Move option under Alt-Space is not available when the window is maximized.
    Thursday, August 26, 2010 8:13 PM
  • I can drag it to the top of the screen (the first thing I (or anyone else) would have tried).  The problem is when I need to move the top of the window up beyond the top of the screen.  This can't be done with the mouse as it stops at the top of the screen.

As for screen resolution - reread my intial post.  I'm at maximum resolution already.  Reducing the resolution only makes the problem worse..

AFAIK, you can’t move the window beyond the top level of the screen as long as the application sets the window’s coordinates and has created no other top-level windows. By default, the system sets the new window’s position relative to the upper left corner of the screen.

Window Features

Best Regards

Dale Qiao
    TechNet Subscriber Support in forum. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Monday, August 30, 2010 1:22 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by DennisT. _ Monday, August 30, 2010 9:32 PM
    Friday, August 27, 2010 1:56 AM
  • Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios. If the issue still persists, please feel free to  reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

BTW,  we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems. Thanks for your understanding and efforts.

Best Regards

Dale Qiao

Monday, August 30, 2010 1:22 AM
  • My problem with the window is it is too large to access all the controls on it.    Moving the majority of it beyond the top of the screen would allow me to access the bottom of the window so I could resize it.  Alt-space Size doesn't work.

With an explorer window I can use the Alt-Space Move to move the top of the window above the top of the screen.  When I press enter to drop it the top does move back onto the page.  The critical thing is that the bottom of the moved window stays put, allowing access to resize as needed.

Why doesn't the WSUS window behave the same way?

Monday, August 30, 2010 9:39 PM
  • You can resize the WSUS window by draging the left top corner of the window firstly, then move it up.

Best Regards

Dale Qiao

Tuesday, August 31, 2010 3:10 AM
  • Hmm.  That doesn't work either.  I just tried to make the window narrower and that didn't work either.  There appears to be 2 problems I'm seeing here.  First, Win 7 isn't allowing me to move the widow up enough to access the bottom part of it.  Second, the Server Cleanup Wizard window appears to be coded so it can't be resized.  I'm not really sure why anyone would do something so dumb as that though.
    Tuesday, August 31, 2010 6:41 PM
  • The size of Disk Cleanup window is fixed, it is by design. We can't resize it. For the WSUS window, is there any option that you can adjust the resolution of WSUS window, If the screen resolution is lower than the application resolution, the application window maybe looks larger.

Best Regards

Dale Qiao

• Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Monday, September 6, 2010 9:30 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by DennisT. _ Wednesday, September 22, 2010 10:53 PM
    Wednesday, September 1, 2010 1:41 AM
  • This intentional behavior:  You cannot move a window such that the title bar is not visible.  This is true for all versions of Windows ever created.  This is by design so that you always have a "handle" to drag the window around.

If this was helpful, please vote by clicking the green triangle. If it solves the issue, click Propose as Answer. Thanks!
    Wednesday, September 1, 2010 4:10 AM
  • This is not an issue with Windows 7.  In fact, this is intentional behavior that has existed in every version of Windows, including 3.1, NT, 95, 95, Me, 2000, XP, and Vista, :  You cannot move a window such that the title bar is not visible.  This is by design so that you always have a "handle" to drag the window around.

If the application was not designed to be accessible on lower resolutions, you should contact the vendor of that application.

If this was helpful, please vote by clicking the green triangle. If it solves the issue, click Propose as Answer. Thanks!
    • Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Monday, September 6, 2010 9:30 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by DennisT. _ Wednesday, September 22, 2010 10:53 PM
    Wednesday, September 1, 2010 4:12 AM
  • There is no option to change the resolution of WSUS as it's a std MMC application.  I've tried accessing this on a 1920*1080 monitor and a 1400*1050 monitor as well as at reduced resolutions (IE 1024*768). 
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 10:59 PM
  • Umm, WSUS is a Microsoft application.
    • Proposed as answer by luigi.scarso Friday, October 15, 2010 2:47 PM
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 11:00 PM
  • Oops, I'm sorry for mistake --- I don't propose it as Answer.

I just want to suggest

http://code.google.com/p/altdrag/

-- it's not a Miscrosof application, btw.

Friday, October 15, 2010 2:51 PM
  • All other versions of windows, other than Vista and Win 7, would allow you to drag the top title bar partially above the top of the screen. With Win 7, if it goes even slightly above it will snap back. I have several apps that you need to drag the top slightly above the top to access the bottom portion of the window. It would be nice to be able to do this again.
    Friday, November 19, 2010 10:58 PM
  • I had one like that and I just made the window smaller from the top then moved the whole thing up. Have you tried that?
    cbeck02
    Friday, November 19, 2010 11:13 PM
  • Rather than speculate, let's look at what the designers said they did intentionally.  Here's a direct quote from the team responsible for the window system:

"One small example that some of you may be familiar with that we did tweak is the scenario of dragging a window title bar off screen. In previous Windows releases we would snap the window back halfway in an attempt to provide you with just enough space to still move the window around, while optimizing vertical space as much as possible. We chose to be a little more deliberate and straightforward here by snapping back so that the entire title bar is visible. This way you can start to rely on the fact that all of your windows are always very easy to grab, also with touch, and move around. If we really felt half of a title bar is enough, why don’t we always half it, right? For our vertical maximized window states we of course chose to keep the entire title bar visible as well, leading to a solid story all around."

Saturday, November 20, 2010 12:23 AM
  • This is so frustrating. bottom line: Windows cant do it, because it is poorly designed. If it were Ubuntu, all you need to do is hold alt and move the window wherever you want.
    Thursday, April 28, 2011 8:04 PM
  • At most, you would be able to regain 8 pixels.  If 8 pixels is causing you to not be able to 'reach' the bottom of a dialog, I think your issue is more likely to be one of resolution or poor application design.  What about people with smaller resolutions that can't access it, even if they would have been able to move the title bar by 8 pixels?

PS:  Mac, Ubuntu and several other linux UI's do the same thing.

Shawn Keene
    Thursday, April 28, 2011 8:46 PM
  • a solution on windows 8, perhaps 7 too, for windows that have moved UP off the screen, and which don't respond to ALT-SPACE, in my case the intel HD graphics options application:

on windows XP, maybe 7 too: right-click on the application's icon down on the taskbar,
    choose max, min, move etc. from the pop-up menu

on windows 8, maybe 7 too: SHIFT right-click on the application's icon down on the taskbar,
    choose max, min, move etc. from the pop-up menu

then, to re-size a window, to bring the top of the window down:
    at the pop-up menu choose move, then press the up arrow on the keyboard, and then either use the mouse or keyboard down arrow to bring the top of the window down

to re-size a window, to bring the bottom of the window up:
    at the pop-up menu choose move, then press the down arrow on the keyboard, and then either use the mouse or keyboard up arrow to bring the bottom of the window up

Friday, July 26, 2019 8:17 AM