none
changing the owner of a project in project server 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• how can i change the project owner of a project to another resource on the PWA(project server 2010)
    Monday, October 11, 2010 8:38 AM

Answers

All replies

• Kehinde:

You do this by navigating to the Project Center, Click into the project for which you want to change the owner, click the Edit button to edit the project, and then select the appropirate PDP on the left to edit this information.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG
    Monday, October 11, 2010 12:57 PM
  • Hi Gary

appreciate your response but i cant see the edit button in project centre(project server 2010)

Wednesday, October 13, 2010 7:13 AM
  • Hello Kehinde

You either have to owner the project to do this or be an admin.

Also, sometimes I found that sometimes with project 2010, you have to run IE explorer as Administrator.  So right click the IE browswer and select RUN AS Administrator.

I don't know why this is.  It's strange, but that works for me sometimes with buttons are grayed out.

Cheers

Michael Wharton

Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    www.WhartonComputer.com
    Wednesday, October 13, 2010 11:37 PM
  • hello Micheal

Please where is the edit button located in the project centre?

i cant see an edit button at all in the project centre.i mean an edit button to edit the project properties to enable me change the owner of a particular project

the edit buttons i can see only allows me edit the content of the project and not its properties. 

Thursday, October 14, 2010 6:58 AM
  • Hi,

Gary's Edit button in Project Center can be found in 2007.

In 2010, you need to open PDP Project Information. Click on your plan in Project Center to open PDP (Project Detail Page). Switch page in quick launch bar to "Project Information". If you haven't changed anything on this page, owner should be there. On this page, you will also find the Edit button, to be able to change the owner.

Regards
    Barbara

Thursday, October 14, 2010 10:05 AM
  • Hello barbara

thank for your response.but i am still not getting it.i havent changed anything at all.how do i navigate to the Project information page?

Friday, October 15, 2010 8:25 AM
  • Hi,

• open Project Center
    • click on project name to go to project details
    • in quick launch bar, you will see your project name. As childs there should be at least two links be listed: "Schedule" and "Project Information".

If you don't see it there, you will need to check assiociated Project Details Pages for the Enterprise Project Type you have used for your project: Server Settings - Enterprise Project Types. Click on used Enterprise Project Type (Basic Project Plan?). In section "New Project Page/Project Detail Pages", Project Information has to be listed in right column.

Does that help?
    Barbara

Friday, October 15, 2010 8:40 AM
  • oh yea it really helped

thanks alot barbara,i really appreciate

hope to communicate with you more

thanks!

Friday, October 15, 2010 9:07 AM
  • I have changed the owner in the respective PDP. But the new owner does not get access to the project site. what needs to be done so that he gets access to the project site? I know I can give him permission by going to the project site and doing it manually but ideally the old owner should now be replaced by new owner. Also we are using custom PDP not project information page.
    Monday, November 7, 2011 2:40 PM
  • Hi pwa guy,

once the new owner republishes the project, the project workspace permission update triggers. Also, remember that the new owner needs to be assigned as status manager as well.

Kin regards,
    Adrian

Friday, October 26, 2012 12:24 PM
  • The problem is that when I click on the Edit button I get a message that says this project cannot be edited in PWA because it uses features which are not supported for editing in PWA. This project contains tasks with tasks calendars.  So I can't get pass this point to then select the appropriate PDP on the left to edit the information.

Is there a way to change ownership from ProjectPro?

Thanks,

Gustavo

Tuesday, December 18, 2012 10:05 PM
  • Hi Gustavo,

The reason you cannot edit in PWA is that you have the Schedule PDP selected when you select Edit. Select the project name from the Project Center to open the details of the project, then change to a PDP such as Project Information or Project Details (specific named PDP depends on your organization, but do not use the Schedule PDP) prior to slecting the Edit button. Once the Project Information PDP is open then select Edit, in any case you are looking for a PDP that contains the Owner field, which the Schedule PDP does not. Make your change for the Owner field and then click Save.

Margaret

Tuesday, January 8, 2013 8:29 PM