none
Resource's Booking value is always changed by project online to "Proposed" RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am using the project 2016 MSO (16.0.9226.2114) with project online and each time I check-out an existent project do maintain it I just notice that the enterprise-resources have the booking value with proposed and not committed. Because of that, I need to manually insert the value committed for each resource in the project plan, then save, publish and check-in.

If I do not do the above steps, the enterprise resource will lose the project's tasks in the the respective time-sheet and we are using the project online to have the resources effort monitor and control.

I would like to setup the settings in a way that the project online does not mess up the booking values. Do you know how ? 

Thanks and regards

Carlos

Monday, May 14, 2018 11:31 AM

All replies

• Carlos - you can set the "booking type" for Resources in your project team from the "Build Team from Enterprise" dialog box (handy hint - use the CTRL+T keyboard shortcut), this establishes the prevailing type, either proposed or committed for the entire project.

I suspect that your edits per task may be discarded as a result of them conflicting with the values  visible in the "Build Team from Enterprise" dialog box.

Try my suggestion and see how you get on.

With good wishes,

Dominic

Microsoft Project Evangelist

Twitter:   LinkedIn:    Web:   

Monday, May 14, 2018 11:41 AM
  • Hi Dominic,

thanks for you answer but this is what I have been doing.

However anytime I need to change the project plan and I open and check-out the plan , the resources dialog box have the resource's booking type mess up. Giving an example in the print screen attached "Carlos G Reis" is with commited state but "Manuel" is with proposed value, but last time I saved the project plan I update to commited.

Any help is well come.

Good wishes / best regards

Carlos

Tuesday, May 29, 2018 2:34 PM
  • Carlos,

Has your "Administrator" defined the resource booking type as being committed or proposed? You may be able to see this if you have access to the "Resource Centre" in PWA and the option to Edit resources.

Also what permissions mode are you using SharePoint or Project Permission Mode?

If it is the latter which security groups do you belong to and what permissions do you have?

With good wishes,

Dominic

Tuesday, May 29, 2018 3:08 PM
  • Hi Dominic,

here you have my answers between your questions, starting with [Carlos].

Has your "Administrator" defined the resource booking type as being committed or proposed?

You may be able to see this if you have access to the "Resource Centre" in PWA and the option to Edit resources.

[Carlos] already checked and the resource in he project server is "proposed" and is wright as we want to 1st plan, and check timeline, then commit when we are sure we ant o have that resource in the project.

[Carlos] yes, I have the option to edit resources and checked the booking type.

Also what permissions mode are you using SharePoint or Project Permission Mode?

[Carlos] we are using the SharePoint permission mode 

If it is the latter which security groups do you belong to and what permissions do you have?

[Carlos] the groups that contain my user are: administrators, portfolio viewers, project managers, team members. The available groups (where my user is not there) are: resource manager (we are not using RBS), team leads, directors, executives.

Hope that helps.

Many thanks and regards

Carlos

Monday, June 4, 2018 5:23 PM
  • Carlos,

I think you might have identified the cause of your problem. The default booking type in Project Online for a new resource is "committed".

Prior to the advent of Project Server/Online the concept of shared resources in a resource pool relied upon files that could be shared and there was a message when connecting to the resource pool - "pool takes precedence" this inferred that you could make use of information about shared resources but could not edit some of their attributes or properties.

I am wondering if with Enterprise Resources that the same principle may be in play, the attribute ascribed to the Enterprise Resource takes precedence. 

My understanding is that the option to change the booking type to "proposed" allows for projects to be introduced so that demand for resource does not impact capacity when using "proposed" bookings, but that the default booking type is "committed" as this allows a holistic perspective on projects making a demand on Enterprise Resources.

With good wishes,

Dominic

Monday, June 4, 2018 5:58 PM
  • Thanks Dominic, this process with you help me understand the behaviour of the project online. I have used it before, but never for timesheet planning and control like I am doing now in this customer.

Kind Regards

Carlos

Tuesday, June 5, 2018 10:56 AM
  • Hi Carlos,

Has changing the default booking type to committed resolved your issue? It wasn't clear from your reply.

With good wishes,

Dominic

• Proposed as answer by Dominic Moss Wednesday, June 13, 2018 7:54 AM
    Tuesday, June 5, 2018 1:06 PM