none
Finding source of log files

Question

• Greetings:

I administrate an exchange 2013 email environment.  This is all on premises.

I have several DAGs with multiple databases in each DAG.  I have one database that consistently has a high CopyQueueLength. The DAG in question has 24 databases and only this one, is causing a problem.   Can anyone suggest ways of finding out the cause of  this huge queue?

We've tried  pinning down a possible problem user  using exmon, but that was of no use.  I welcome all thoughts.

K

Tuesday, April 17, 2018 6:53 PM

All replies

• Is this database active or passive?

Is this database on a slow disk?

What is the replay lag time setting?

Tuesday, April 17, 2018 11:05 PM
  • Hi,

Apart from what Michael said, please check if the database copy status is healthy.

Get-MailboxDatabaseCopyStatus | FL 

To fix it:
    1. Restart the Microsoft Exchange Replication service on the affected server, then check if the copy queue length is normal.
    2. Reseed the problematic database copy:

Update-MailboxDatabaseCopy -Identity "DB\MBX"

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Manu Meng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, April 18, 2018 9:41 AM
  • This DAG has 24 databases spread across 4 active servers in the US and a pair of servers holding passive copies over seas.  The server holding the database in question has 12 passive databases but only one of them is having this problem. 

The Status of the database is healthy. 

We have not configured any lag for any of our databases.

No the database is not on a slow disk.

Reseeding is a last resort, but we'd still like to find out whats causing the massive amount of logs for this one db.

Thank you Michael and Manu for you responses.

K

Wednesday, April 18, 2018 4:35 PM
  • I would try to reseeding like Manu mention. DB might have some sort of corruption that we cannot see.
    Thursday, April 19, 2018 12:46 AM
  • Thanks Michael.

K

Thursday, April 19, 2018 7:09 PM
  • Hi Kevin,

If you have decided to reseed to the database, please feel free to to let us know the result.

Regards,

Manu Meng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, April 20, 2018 2:19 AM
  • Hi Kevin,

Enable diagnostic log level to Expert for all DB related stuffs, and

make sure component state are online in all servers , - Why I suggest you to check this is because Managed Availability services in Exchange server will automatically fixes unseen error by administrators .

you can use this commands to see the status: Get-HealthReport –Identity Exchange_server_name

Get-ServerHealth -Identity server_name –HealthSet healthSet_name

Event Viewer -> Applications and Services Logs -> Microsoft -> Exchange -> ActiveMonitoring –ProbeResult

Reference : https://www.codetwo.com/admins-blog/managed-availability-in-exchange-2013/

-Safvan

Friday, April 20, 2018 10:40 AM
  • Manu:

No, we havent decided to go down that road yet.  Thanks.

K

Friday, April 20, 2018 4:43 PM
  • Hi,

Please run the Test-ReplicationHealth on the problematic mailbox server and check if there is any error message in the output.

Regards,

Manu Meng

Tuesday, April 24, 2018 9:32 AM
  • Manu Meng:

there was no error message in the output.

On a further note, the queue has resolved it self without doing anything.  No mailbox was being moved, or anything like that.  I've checked with my fellow engineers, and no changes were made.

I guess we can close this thread

K

Tuesday, April 24, 2018 8:15 PM
  • OK, anyway, happy to know issue got resolved. If you don't mind, we'd suggest you mark the replies above as answers, so it will be easy for other community members to find the useful one/ones.

Thanks a lot for your understanding.

Regards,

Manu Meng

Wednesday, April 25, 2018 1:50 AM