none
Consistency check while accessing/modifying the source RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Small question about how the consistency check of DPM 2010 works...

Due to an unexpected shutdown of a protected client, I had to perform a consitency check for a PG (1TB of data).

The protected server is now up and running while the CC is performed and of course some files are changed on the target source.

1) With what I rode if le1 is already checked with a CC, CC continues on different directories but when later that file1 is modified during the CC is still in progress, the CC will "come back" to perform the CC on the file1 again....

2) Or am I wrong and CC is only going once during the check until it has scanned all files ?

If the cas 1 is the applied one than it can last very long if the file server is very busy and lot of modifications occured ?

Thanks

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 12:49 PM

All replies

• Hi,

A consistency check is performed against a VSS snapshot where no files are ever changed.  At the same time the DPM File filter is tracking changed block of files on the active volume.  When the CC is done on the snapshot, we then bring over changes that occured on the active volume.  This brings the replica up to date and we then revert to doing normal synchronizations.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, March 22, 2012 2:52 AM
  • So this could mean that if the file server is very busy (file changes by the users) this could be almost a looping process.... As as soon as the VSS is complete he begins with the changes (DPM Filter) taking into account the history change of the files....

Thanks for the answer...

Thursday, March 22, 2012 12:31 PM