USB device bahaving strangely RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

there is a weird behaviour in the Vista SP1 device manager related to a USB device I use. (an EMU TrackerPre USB audio device)

Got a motherboard with nForce 550 chipset. Device manager lists two USB controllers.

A. Standard OpenHCD USB hostcontroller (PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_036C&SUBSYS_50041458&REV_A1)

B. Standard PCI-to-USB extended host controller (PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_036D&SUBSYS_50041458&REV_A2)

There is an audio interface conected to controller 1 that reports to have USB 1.1 speed (but should be 2.0). In the dev mgr (device by connection view) it shows up under controller A. When I unplug and replug it it comes back under controller B and reports USB 2.0 speed (as expected).

Why does the "connection path" change though it is allways connected to the same USB port?

Why does the connection speed change?

The drivers are Vista SP1 build in.

--George

Wednesday, January 7, 2009 3:46 PM

Answers

• Hi George,

Does the issue occurs with any other USB devices either? If not, and considering that the Lenovo computer has Intel chipsets, this issue may be not caused by the NVIDIA nForce chipset driver. The problem of the built-in driver of nForce chipsets was found in Windows XP SP2. It may be corrected in Windows Vista or its service pack.

We may try to reload all of the USB controller drivers and check if it helps.

1. Click "Start", type in Device Manager the Search bar and press "Enter". Click Continue if necessary.

2. In Device Manager, double click to expand "Universal Serial Bus controllers", right click on the "Host Controller", click "Uninstall" and click "OK".

3. Repeat the step 2 to uninstall all items under "Universal Serial Bus controllers".

Then, restart your computer and Windows Vista will reinstall all USB controllers automatically.

If the issue is not resolved, we should focus on the device. Since the issue occurs on two computers, the most possible cause may be the device. Do you have other computers? If so, does the issue also occurs on them?

EMU has released Windows Vista drivers for several products. Please access the following website and check if your device is included.

http://www.emu.com/support/vista.asp

EMU has indicated that all E-MU USB2.0 Interface products are considered to be unsupported and not compatible with Windows Vista until official Vista drivers are released.

Important Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

If no driver is released, I suggest that you contact EMU support for more information.

http://www.emu.com/support/custsup.asp  

Hope it helps.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Monday, January 12, 2009 3:54 AM

All replies

• Hi George,

That is because your audio interface is an USB 1.1 device. The USB 2.0 interfaces on the motherboard support both USB 1.1 and USB 2.0, but the transferring speed will match the speed of the plugged devices.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 7:09 AM
  • Hi Arthur, 

the USB Device is definitely a high-speed USB 2.0 device. It successfully connects as a 2.0 device after it is reconnected.

The other question is still why the hardware path that is reported in the device manager changes after reconnecting it. (I thought it was a physical path - and that is obviously not changed by unplugging an replugging a device.)

I have another machine (a preinstalled LENOVO laptop) that shows exactly the same behaviour.

--George
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 8:23 AM
  • Hi George,

What is the chipset of the Lenovo laptop? Is it nForce chipset either?

I have experienced some cases that the Windows built-in USB Host Controller drivers do not work well with nForce chipset USB Host Controller. To resolve this issue, we need to reload the USB host controller driver.

First, please disconnect all USB devices and then perform the following steps:

1. Please ensure that you have installed chipset driver of nForce chipset. The driver should be provided in the driver disk of the motherboard. It can also be downloaded from the following website.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_vista_15.23.html  

Important Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

2. Click "Start", type in Device Manager the Search bar and press "Enter". Click Continue if necessary.

3. In Device Manager, double click to expand "Universal Serial Bus controllers".

4. Right click on "Standard PCI-to-USB extended host controller". Click the tab "Driver", and click "Update Driver".

5. Choose "Browse my computer for driver software".

6. Choose "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer".

7. Select "NVIDIA USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller". Click Next. Finish the installation.

8. In Device Manager, right click on all of the entries related "Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller", click "Uninstall" and click "OK".

Then, please restart the computer. Check if the issue is resolved.

Hope it helps.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Friday, January 9, 2009 4:55 AM
  • Hi Arthur,

thanks for your advice. I downloaded the 15.23 package and installed it. It did not change the driver for USB directly so I went through your steps. At step 7 however, there is no "NVIDIA USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller". There is onyl one entry saying "Standard PCI-to-USB extended host controller". Any idee how/where to get that driver?

When I look at the driver package it has those folders

Awy (AwayMode)
    Ethernet
    IDE
    SMBus
    SMU

Same on the driver CD provided with the motherboard. Are you sure there are dedicated NVIDIA USB drivers for Vista? Forgot to say this is Vista x64 SP1

--George
    Friday, January 9, 2009 8:47 AM
  • Hi George,

That driver is for Windows Vista 32bit systems.

I suggest that you try the following drivers which is specially for Windows Vista 64bit systems.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_vista64_15.23.html    

Additionally, is the Lenovo computer installed with nForce chipset motherboard? If so, it is very possible that the root cause is related to the nForce chipset USB host controller and the driver on the computer.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Friday, January 9, 2009 9:51 AM
  • Hi Arthur,

that is in fact the version I tried (nForce 15.23 for x64). No USB drivers whatsoever. I even searched the *.inf files for HW DEV ID 036d. No luck.

I'd be happy to get the proper driver installed on my desktop system.

--George

PS: The Lenovo has an Intel chipset (ICH8).
    Friday, January 9, 2009 12:39 PM
  • Hi George,

Does the issue occurs with any other USB devices either? If not, and considering that the Lenovo computer has Intel chipsets, this issue may be not caused by the NVIDIA nForce chipset driver. The problem of the built-in driver of nForce chipsets was found in Windows XP SP2. It may be corrected in Windows Vista or its service pack.

We may try to reload all of the USB controller drivers and check if it helps.

1. Click "Start", type in Device Manager the Search bar and press "Enter". Click Continue if necessary.

2. In Device Manager, double click to expand "Universal Serial Bus controllers", right click on the "Host Controller", click "Uninstall" and click "OK".

3. Repeat the step 2 to uninstall all items under "Universal Serial Bus controllers".

Then, restart your computer and Windows Vista will reinstall all USB controllers automatically.

If the issue is not resolved, we should focus on the device. Since the issue occurs on two computers, the most possible cause may be the device. Do you have other computers? If so, does the issue also occurs on them?

EMU has released Windows Vista drivers for several products. Please access the following website and check if your device is included.

http://www.emu.com/support/vista.asp

EMU has indicated that all E-MU USB2.0 Interface products are considered to be unsupported and not compatible with Windows Vista until official Vista drivers are released.

If no driver is released, I suggest that you contact EMU support for more information.

http://www.emu.com/support/custsup.asp  

Hope it helps.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Monday, January 12, 2009 3:54 AM