Locking Files or a Folder on a Customer's Computer RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings all,

I have a somewhat unique issue that I've been researching for a little while now. I am working on a project that allows the use of files in a program, the code to which I do not have access. I can create add-ons for this program, and the add-on files are what I need to lock down. My issue is this: Is it possible to lock down the add-ons (various file formats) to a specific drive/directory, and if so, how? Would it otherwise be possible to lock down the folder in which the files reside?

I don't need to prevent the files from being copied because I know that if they can be read, they can be copied. I say that because I need the program, again the code to which I do not have access, to be able to read the add-on files. I need the files to not work if they are not on the particular machine to which they are extracted. My thinking is that I can maybe encrypt the files during the extraction process using a value (password) specific to that machine.

I have tried encrypting using TrueCrypt (which I know is no longer secure to use, but it was more for informational purposes) and some other encrypting software, but I need the files to stay in their original file formats so they can be read by the program. I can't do a virtual drive that I have to mount because that's another step the user would have to do to be able to use the add-ons. I want users to be able to download the add-on compressed file, extract them where they need to go, then be able to just open up the program (without any other steps) and have the files up and ready for viewing. But if they copy the files to their friend's computer, the files won't run.

I'm posting on this forum because I believe BitLocker might be of use in this endeavor, and I was hoping that some of you out there might be able to at least point me in the right direction.I would greatly appreciate input on this and even more so if you can give me precisely the answer I'm hoping for!

Thank you

Wednesday, March 4, 2015 8:26 PM