SharePoint Server 2016 Installation woes RRS feed

• Question

• First, am I in the right place? I don't see any topics relating to SharePoint 2016. If I'm using some kind of experimental bleeding edge technology, tell me now.

I'm a web developer for a small IT group. Our CIO entrusted me with the task of becoming our "SharePoint expert", and I'm happy to fill the role. The problem thus far is that I can't even immerse myself in the SharePoint environment because the server refuses to install. I've done my best to follow the sparse documentation on the subject:

Running Windows Server 2012 on a VirtualBox virtual machine with SQL 2014 installed. Both are 180 day trial versions.
    Running another Windows Server 2012 on another VirtualBox machine. This one is the one I'm trying to install the 180 day trial version of SharePoint Server 2016 to.

The virtual machines are networked and can see each other, and when I last checked, can see the host machine. 5 hours ago when I first started this, I tried to get both SQL Server 2014 and SharePoint server running on the same virtual machine, but the implication of the many help posts I read seemed to tell me to make two virtual machines at least.

The error I'm hitting comes when I run the SharePoint 2016 Products Configuration Wizard. My settings are as follows:

Connect to an Existing Server Farm
    Database Server: [Windows Server 2012 with SQL Server machine name]
    Database Name: Sharepoint_Config
    Passphrase checks out.
    Single Server Farm (for development testing)
    I do not specify a port number.
    Authentication provider is NTLM
    Host the central administration web application is set to yes.

Configuration task 3 of 10 fails and gives me the error

"Failed to connect to the configuration database.
    An exception of type System.InvalidOperationException was thrown. Additional exception information: 1387"

The log provides very little additional information:

"at Microsoft.SharePoint.Win32.SPNetApi32.NetLocalGroupSetMember(String groupName, String userName)
    at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPFarm.Join(Boolean skipRegisterAsDistributedCacheHost, Nullable`1 serverRole)
    at Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.ConfigurationDatabaseTaks.CreateOrConnectConfigDb()
    at Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.ConfigurationDatabaseTaks.Run()
    at Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.TaskThread.ExecuteTask()

Various blog posts and forum dead ends have been my day for the past 5 hours. I would very much appreciate some guidance on this, including whether or not past users believe I should fall back to SharePoint 2013 or SharePoint 2010 for stability's sake.

Thanks.

Thursday, January 19, 2017 8:48 PM

Answers

• I have finally managed to get SharePoint Server 2016 up and running, and on a single VM, even. I once again tried to create a new server farm instead of connecting to one and realized that it asked for a domain, not a computer name. After looking up how to create a domain, I attempted to connect the two virtual machines to the same domain to no avail, but ended up creating the server farm on the SQL Server machine.

It is very apparent that installation of SharePoint Server should not be delegated to someone with absolutely no experience with Windows Server functions and features.

• Marked as answer by Boot.Elf Monday, January 23, 2017 3:41 PM
    Monday, January 23, 2017 3:41 PM

All replies

• Hi Boot.Elf,

It seems that SharePoint Configuration Wizard is not able to connect to the SQL Server instance. Please try the below points to resolve the issue:

1- On the SharePoint virtual machine, pease create a new file with the .udl extension. Open the file and provide the database server name and select Windows NT Integrated Security. Please make sure you are logged in to the virtual machine using the account you are using for installing SharePoint.(SP_ADMIN or whatever name you are using). Then click on Test Connection. If you get an error message, then check point No. 2

2- Make sure that the installation account(SP_ADMIN or SP_INSTALL, whatever name you have selected) you are using to install SharePoint is meeting the below requirements:

• Domain user account.

• Member of the Administrators group on each server on which Setup is run.

• SQL Server login on the computer that runs SQL Server.

• Member of the following SQL Server roles:

• securityadmin fixed server role

• dbcreator fixed server role

After granting these permissions try connecting using the UDL file again.

3- Also, it could be because of the firewall on the SQL Server, try switching off the firewall and try to connect again after that

Please try the above and let us know if the same issue is occurring while installing SharePoint 2016

Just a quick note about SharePoint 2016, we are using SharePoint 2016 and we have deployed the farm using the MinRole topology, our environment consist of 9 SharePoint Servers, SQL Server Cluster(2 Nodes), 2 Office Online Servers and 2 AvePoint Servers for RBS and Backup functionalities. The farm works like a charm and we didn't get any issues so far. and It is very fast also.

Kind Regards

Thursday, January 19, 2017 9:59 PM
  • Hey, thanks for your time. I created the .udl file and tested the connection - it was successful. I did a second test with bogus settings, and those failed, so the information I used first time checks out as valid.

I have completely disabled Windows Firewall on both VMs, for public, private, and domain. Public and private were disabled beforehand, but Domain was not. It is disabled now.

Unfortunately, even with all of this in place and with the .udl giving me a successful connection, the configuration wizard is still giving me the same error at the same step.

However, I have found a new error in the log:

A System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException was thrown. Additional exception information: A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)

I find this error to be strange, as I do have named pipes enabled alongside TCP/IP, and everything else has checked out up to this point.

Friday, January 20, 2017 2:13 PM
  • Hi Boot.Elf,

Why you are selecting the option Connect to an Existing Server Farm. Since you are creating a new SharePoint farm, you should select Create a new Server Farm. In the first error, the Configuration Wizard was trying to connect to an existing SharePoint farm - mainly the wizard was searching for the SharePoint_Config database. Since there is no farm created before, the wizard will not find the configuration database(SharePiint_Config) and hence the error is thrown.

"Failed to connect to the configuration database.
    An exception of type System.InvalidOperationException was thrown. Additional exception information: 1387"

Please select the option Create a new Server Farm and it should work fine. 

If the SharePoint_Config already created when you was trying to create the farm on the same server as sql server, then make sure that you have logged in into the SharePoint Server using the SP_ADMIN account while installing SharePoint and this account has the db_owner permission on the Configuration database.

Also, since you didn't create the farm yet, it might work that you delete the SharePoint_Config and the AdminContent databases and start fresh installation. You should have only these two databases at this step in the configuration wizard

If required, I can connect with you on Team Viewer to check the environment.

Kind Regards

Friday, January 20, 2017 8:11 PM
  • The SharePoint_Config database was created on the VM hosting SQL Server through the use of a command issued in SharePoint Power Shell that I found in a tutorial:

New-SPConfigurationDatabase -DatabaseName Sharepoint_Config -DatabaseServer [name] -AdministrationContentDatabaseName SharePoint_Content -Passphrase (ConvertTo-SecureString [password] -AsPlainText -Force) -FarmCredentials(Get-Credential) -localserverrole SingleServerFarm

I did this while initially trying to run everything from the same VM because it would not let me use the local machine username to log in. I have tried creating a new farm from this new VM, but it doesn't accept the other machine's username, and I have no idea what else it could want.

Friday, January 20, 2017 9:04 PM
  • I have finally managed to get SharePoint Server 2016 up and running, and on a single VM, even. I once again tried to create a new server farm instead of connecting to one and realized that it asked for a domain, not a computer name. After looking up how to create a domain, I attempted to connect the two virtual machines to the same domain to no avail, but ended up creating the server farm on the SQL Server machine.

It is very apparent that installation of SharePoint Server should not be delegated to someone with absolutely no experience with Windows Server functions and features.

• Marked as answer by Boot.Elf Monday, January 23, 2017 3:41 PM
    Monday, January 23, 2017 3:41 PM