none
Exchange DAG (Test-ReplicationHealth)

Question

• Good Afternoon -

I'm not sure if this is an area of concern, improper setup, or if I just need to not be concerned given my setup.

Databases are in good order:

Name                                          Status          CopyQueue ReplayQueue LastInspectedLogTime   ContentIndex
                                                                  Length    Length                             State
    ----                                          ------          --------- ----------- --------------------   ------------
    Mailbox Database Standard\MAIL01           Mounted         0         0                                  Healthy
    Mailbox Database NonStandard\MAIL01        Mounted         0         0                                  Healthy
    Mailbox Database 1GB\MAIL01                Mounted         0         0                                  Healthy
    Mailbox Database NonStandard\MAIL02        Healthy         0         1           5/21/2018 11:09:03 AM  Healthy
    Mailbox Database Standard\MAIL02           Healthy         0         1           5/21/2018 11:09:02 AM  Healthy
    Mailbox Database 1GB\MAIL02                Healthy         0         1           5/21/2018 11:08:54 AM  Healthy

When I run a Test-ReplicationHealth cmd, I receive a failure on the Database Availability check

Server          Check                      Result     Error

------          -----                      ------     -----
    MAIL01       ClusterService              Passed
    MAIL01       ReplayService              Passed
    MAIL01       ActiveManager              Passed
    MAIL01       TasksRpcListener           Passed
    MAIL01       TcpListener                  Passed
    MAIL01       ServerLocatorService       Passed
    MAIL01       DagMembersUp               Passed
    MAIL01       MonitoringService          Passed
    MAIL01       ClusterNetwork             Passed
    MAIL01       QuorumGroup                Passed
    MAIL01       FileShareQuorum            Passed
    MAIL01       DatabaseRedundancy         Passed
    MAIL01       DatabaseAvailability       *FAILED*   Failures:...

I have a two node DAG within VMware, and I can successfully Activate any of the databases between the two Exchange Servers.

When I parse the Failed results to a text file, I get:                                                                                                                                                                                                                      

RunspaceId       : fd832fc3-efee-4a1c-b927-d0a45b667066
    Server           : MAIL01
    Check            : DatabaseRedundancy
    CheckDescription : Verifies that databases have sufficient redundancy. If this check fails, it means that some 
                       databases are at risk of losing data.
    Result           : Passed
    Error            : 
    Identity         : 
    IsValid          : True
    ObjectState      : New

RunspaceId       : fd832fc3-efee-4a1c-b927-d0a45b667066
    Server           : MAIL01
    Check            : DatabaseAvailability
    CheckDescription : Verifies that databases have sufficient availability. If this check fails, it means that some 
                       databases are at risk of losing service.
    Result           : *FAILED*
    Error            : Failures:
                           There were database availability check failures for database 'Mailbox Database NonStandard' 
                       that may be lowering its availability. Availability Count: 1. Expected Availability Count: 2. 
                       Detailed error(s): 

mail01:
                               Server 'MAIL01.mydomain.lcl' has database copy auto activation policy configuration of 
                       'Blocked'. 

There were database availability check failures for database 'Mailbox Database Standard' that 
                       may be lowering its availability. Availability Count: 1. Expected Availability Count: 2. Detailed 
                       error(s): 

mail01:
                               Server 'MAIL01.mydomain.lcl' has database copy auto activation policy configuration of 
                       'Blocked'. 

There were database availability check failures for database 'Mailbox Database 1GB' that may be 
                       lowering its availability. Availability Count: 1. Expected Availability Count: 2. Detailed 
                       error(s): 

mail01:
                       'Blocked'. 

Identity         : 
    IsValid          : True
    ObjectState      : New

Please let me know if there's any additional info that would help, and I welcome assistance\guidance that anyone might offer.

Thanks.

Tuesday, May 22, 2018 7:18 PM

Answers

• That looks correct.

BTW, there's a simpler command for that:

Get-MailboxDatabaseCopyStatus *

Check this:

Get-MailboxServer | FL Name,DatabaseCopyAutoActivationPolicy

If either are blocked, then you don't have high availability.  Fix it:

Set-MailboxServer MAIL01 -DatabaseCopyAutoActivationPolicy Unrestricted

Set-MailboxServer MAIL02 -DatabaseCopyAutoActivationPolicy Unrestricted

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Wednesday, May 23, 2018 11:35 PM

All replies

• That is saying that you don't have enough database copies for high availability.  Read the message carefully and search for details.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Tuesday, May 22, 2018 10:47 PM
  • Agree with Ed.

From "There were database availability check failures for database 'Mailbox Database Standard' that may be lowering its availability. Availability Count: 1. Expected Availability Count: 2", there's no copy for "Mailbox Database Standard".

You can run below command to check:
    Get-MailboxDatabase | Get-MailboxDatabaseCopyStatus

Also, you can build a copy for "Mailbox Database Standard" by EAC or EMS.
    More information, for your reference: Add a mailbox database copy

Best Regards,
    Allen Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, May 23, 2018 9:54 AM
  • Okay.  I guess I don't have it setup the way I thought.  I have two nodes and if one goes down it will mount the database on the other, (secondary), node.

Is that not high availability.  If it isn't, how many database copies do I need?

Wednesday, May 23, 2018 7:58 PM
  • The results of the commands you suggested are below.  I also replied to Ed's comments, and I'll reply to you with the same remarks\question;

I guess I don't have it setup the way I thought.  I have two nodes and if one goes down it will mount the database on the other, (secondary), node.

Is that not high availability.  If it isn't, how many database copies do I need?

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>Get-MailboxDatabase | Get-MailboxDatabaseCopyStatus
    Creating a new session for implicit remoting of "Get-MailboxDatabase" command...

Name                                          Status          CopyQueue ReplayQueue LastInspectedLogTime   ContentIndex
                                                                  Length    Length                             State
    ----                                          ------          --------- ----------- --------------------   ------------
    Mailbox Database Standard\MAIL01           Mounted         0         0                                  Healthy
    Mailbox Database Standard\MAIL02           Healthy           0         0           5/23/2018 2:55:19 PM   Healthy
    Mailbox Database NonStandard\MAIL01      Mounted         0         0                                  Healthy
    Mailbox Database NonStandard\MAIL02      Healthy          0          1           5/23/2018 2:55:40 PM   Healthy
    Mailbox Database 1GB\MAIL01                  Mounted          0         0                                  Healthy
    Mailbox Database 1GB\MAIL02                  Healthy          0         0           5/23/2018 2:52:39 PM   Healthy

Wednesday, May 23, 2018 8:00 PM
  • That looks correct.

BTW, there's a simpler command for that:

Get-MailboxDatabaseCopyStatus *

Check this:

Get-MailboxServer | FL Name,DatabaseCopyAutoActivationPolicy

If either are blocked, then you don't have high availability.  Fix it:

Set-MailboxServer MAIL01 -DatabaseCopyAutoActivationPolicy Unrestricted

Set-MailboxServer MAIL02 -DatabaseCopyAutoActivationPolicy Unrestricted

Wednesday, May 23, 2018 11:35 PM
  • Hi,

Any further help we can do for you?
    If it's solved, would you please post the solution here to share it with us?
    Also, please free to mark the useful reply as answer. Thanks for your cooperation.

Best Regards,
    Allen Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, May 30, 2018 2:05 AM
  • Sorry for the long delay, as I was out on vacation.

Getting back to this, I ran the command listed above.

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>Get-MailboxServer | fl Name,DatabaseCopyAutoActivationPolicy
    Creating a new session for implicit remoting of "Get-MailboxServer" command...

Name                             : MAIL01
    DatabaseCopyAutoActivationPolicy : Blocked

Name                             : MAIL02
    DatabaseCopyAutoActivationPolicy : Unrestricted

After running the Set-MailboxServer MAIL01 -DatabaseCopyAutoActivationPolicy Unrestricted command, the TestReplicationHealth shows DatabaseAvailability as "Passed". 

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>Test-ReplicationHealth

Server          Check                      Result     Error
    ------          -----                      ------     -----
    MAIL01       ClusterService             Passed
    MAIL01       ReplayService              Passed
    MAIL01       ActiveManager              Passed
    MAIL01       TasksRpcListener           Passed
    MAIL01       TcpListener                Passed
    MAIL01       ServerLocatorService       Passed
    MAIL01       DagMembersUp               Passed
    MAIL01       MonitoringService          Passed
    MAIL01       ClusterNetwork             Passed
    MAIL01       QuorumGroup                Passed
    MAIL01       FileShareQuorum            Passed
    MAIL01       DatabaseRedundancy         Passed
    MAIL01       DatabaseAvailability       Passed

Thanks for the assistance.

Friday, June 08, 2018 3:05 PM
  • You're welcome.  Happy to have helped.

Friday, June 08, 2018 3:37 PM