Windows Server 2012r2 VM RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

Regarding Server 2012r2 as a guest OS on Hyper V 2008r2, I've read the official Microsoft position and understand that Server 2012r2 is an unsupported guest operating system.  However has anyone had any issues running with this setup. We have around 30 2012r2 VM's running quite happily on our Hyper V 2008r2 environment and before I add any more I'd like to know if there are any issues out there.

Thanks

Cammie

Wednesday, January 21, 2015 3:07 PM

Answers

• Well, since you have 2012 R2 VM's it means you have licenses for 2012 R2.

If you have licenses, I would plan transition to 2012 R2 hosts. Provided that hosts are suitable for running 2012 R2 (2012 R2 is more hardware demanding than 2008 R2).

if it works for you, but you will not need support from Microsoft, then good for you.

I would not like to put myself into position where I did not plan for disaster recovery, business continuity and support.

Just imagine what would happen if you need support one day. Did you tell the management? Is it possible that you will get an audit, from whatever authority may be out there? 

• Proposed as answer by Alex Lv Friday, January 23, 2015 8:09 AM
    • Marked as answer by Alex Lv Monday, February 2, 2015 8:52 AM
    Wednesday, January 21, 2015 3:26 PM
  • There is a potential technical issue.

The integration components are part of the kernel of Windows.  The situation that you create is that the Integration Components running inside the VM is newer than the corresponding supporting services presented to the VM by the Hyper-V Server hypervisor.

This can create strange behavior.  And is usually first manifested in the networking or storage stack of the VM.

If MSFT states that this is 'not supported' - this means that it is not tested and therefore there is no assurance from MSFT that it will work (though it also does not mean that it won't).  AFAIK the test matrix normally includes n-1.  In your case you are into an n-2 situation and therefore; 'not supported'

If you called into CSS with support for a VM running in this configuration, MSFT would tell you upgrade the Hyper-V Server, test and call back.  And that would be the extent of their support.  This is what you need to keep in mind.  It is all about this statement of support from MSFT and the resulting risk that you will bear.

Here is your 'official' statement: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/virtual_pc_guy/archive/2014/06/30/can-you-run-windows-server-2012-r2-on-windows-server-2008-r2.aspx

Brian Ehlert
    http://ITProctology.blogspot.com
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.

• Marked as answer by Alex Lv Monday, February 2, 2015 8:53 AM
    Wednesday, January 21, 2015 3:42 PM

All replies

• Well, since you have 2012 R2 VM's it means you have licenses for 2012 R2.

If you have licenses, I would plan transition to 2012 R2 hosts. Provided that hosts are suitable for running 2012 R2 (2012 R2 is more hardware demanding than 2008 R2).

if it works for you, but you will not need support from Microsoft, then good for you.

I would not like to put myself into position where I did not plan for disaster recovery, business continuity and support.

Just imagine what would happen if you need support one day. Did you tell the management? Is it possible that you will get an audit, from whatever authority may be out there? 

• Marked as answer by Alex Lv Monday, February 2, 2015 8:52 AM
    Wednesday, January 21, 2015 3:26 PM
  • There is a potential technical issue.

The integration components are part of the kernel of Windows.  The situation that you create is that the Integration Components running inside the VM is newer than the corresponding supporting services presented to the VM by the Hyper-V Server hypervisor.

This can create strange behavior.  And is usually first manifested in the networking or storage stack of the VM.

If MSFT states that this is 'not supported' - this means that it is not tested and therefore there is no assurance from MSFT that it will work (though it also does not mean that it won't).  AFAIK the test matrix normally includes n-1.  In your case you are into an n-2 situation and therefore; 'not supported'

If you called into CSS with support for a VM running in this configuration, MSFT would tell you upgrade the Hyper-V Server, test and call back.  And that would be the extent of their support.  This is what you need to keep in mind.  It is all about this statement of support from MSFT and the resulting risk that you will bear.

Here is your 'official' statement: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/virtual_pc_guy/archive/2014/06/30/can-you-run-windows-server-2012-r2-on-windows-server-2008-r2.aspx

Brian Ehlert
    http://ITProctology.blogspot.com
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.

• Marked as answer by Alex Lv Monday, February 2, 2015 8:53 AM
    Wednesday, January 21, 2015 3:42 PM