Importing black/white lists into FOPE as a dictionary file RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I am trying to get the whitelist and blacklist from our Barracuda SPAM firewall into FOPE.  I can export the list in a ascii text format from the Barracuda, but am having a lot of trouble finding some clear examples of how to format the file for import into FOPE as a dictionary file. 

I have been looking at the help file for FOPE dictionary located here: 

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff714986.aspx

but it doesn't give examples of how to format for email address.

Can someone give me an example of how to format a text/csv file for importing as a dictionary file into FOPE?

Thank you!!

Thursday, February 14, 2013 3:17 PM

Answers

• Hi,

in the article http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff715197.aspx you'll find the following sentence:

"The Dictionary feature supports .txt and .csv files only. The maximum permissible file size for dictionaries is 32 KB and each file can support 9,000 characters. Additionally, dictionary files only support Basic syntax. For more information about the supported syntax, see Basic Syntax in Understanding Policy Rule Syntax."

So you can only use patterns (, * ? \ /xx) mentioned under Basic syntax.

Greetings

Christian

Christian Groebner MVP Forefront

• Marked as answer by Krawdad40 Friday, February 15, 2013 7:52 PM
    Friday, February 15, 2013 8:08 AM
  • Hi,

Actually, I determined that I was making it hard than it needed to be. I just needed to put each email address or domain name on it's own line in the file in order to import it into FOPE.

I do think the instructions for how to format the file are a little bit over complicated when a simple example would have sufficed.

Thanks

Friday, February 15, 2013 2:11 PM

All replies

• Hi,

in the article http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff715197.aspx you'll find the following sentence:

"The Dictionary feature supports .txt and .csv files only. The maximum permissible file size for dictionaries is 32 KB and each file can support 9,000 characters. Additionally, dictionary files only support Basic syntax. For more information about the supported syntax, see Basic Syntax in Understanding Policy Rule Syntax."

So you can only use patterns (, * ? \ /xx) mentioned under Basic syntax.

Greetings

Christian

Christian Groebner MVP Forefront

Friday, February 15, 2013 8:08 AM
  • Hi,

Actually, I determined that I was making it hard than it needed to be. I just needed to put each email address or domain name on it's own line in the file in order to import it into FOPE.

I do think the instructions for how to format the file are a little bit over complicated when a simple example would have sufficed.

Thanks

Friday, February 15, 2013 2:11 PM