none
WDS getting corrupt RRS feed

• Question

• I am new to administrating to MDT and have encountered a problem 3 times. I am curious if I am doing something wrong.

The problem is, is when I add drivers to the Out-of-Box Drivers folder, WinPE, I update the deployment share to generate new boot WIMS.

I then import then into WDS > Server>Boot folder by choosing the "replace" option for each x86 and x64 wim. I am not shutting the WDS service down … or anything else.

On 3 occasions, after importing the new Boot WIMs, we could no longer boot into MDT even though 5 mins earlier we could. I then get an error saying Windows Deployment Service is corrupt and I am not able to recover from it even after running the commands to uninitialized and initialize the server.

Is this just bad luck or am I not doing something correctly and breaking WDS? I am left having to remove WDS from the server, which requires a reboot, and reinstall WDS to get it to work. What am I doing wrong? Am I doing something wrong? Does anyone have any idea what is corrupting WDS and how to fix it without removing the role from the server?

Thanks in advance.

Thursday, February 19, 2015 2:30 PM

Answers

• Sorry, for such a long absence. On this issue what I found was I was adding and removing boot images from WDS while the server was still running.

I found that if I turn off the service first, then remove / delete the old boot wims, then add the new boot wims to WDS, and then turn the WDS service back on, I have not had this problem for the last 2 years.

Hope this can help someone else.

• Marked as answer by Jack-Aubrey Friday, January 12, 2018 2:14 PM
    Friday, January 12, 2018 2:11 PM

All replies

• Hello, Jack-Aubrey.

You should no "Completely regenerate the boot images" when add new Out-of-box drivers. You should check "Optimize the boot image updating process". MDT himself knows when to  make changes into boot images (change bootstrap.ini, add packages and other). It will allow not to change boot images for WDS so often.

But about corrupting WDS I'm stucked. Does event logs give you some useful information? What is error full text?

• Edited by fapw Thursday, February 19, 2015 3:58 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Keith GarnerMVP, Moderator Tuesday, February 24, 2015 7:11 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jack-Aubrey Friday, January 12, 2018 2:12 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Jack-Aubrey Friday, January 12, 2018 2:13 PM
    Thursday, February 19, 2015 3:56 PM
  • Sorry, for such a long absence. On this issue what I found was I was adding and removing boot images from WDS while the server was still running.

I found that if I turn off the service first, then remove / delete the old boot wims, then add the new boot wims to WDS, and then turn the WDS service back on, I have not had this problem for the last 2 years.

Hope this can help someone else.

• Marked as answer by Jack-Aubrey Friday, January 12, 2018 2:14 PM
    Friday, January 12, 2018 2:11 PM