OWA 2007 on CAS 2010? RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to co-exist the OWA 2007 files on the 2010 server? I like Outlook live and it works great in Internet Explorer 7.0+ unfortunately all my IE6.0 users would be reduced from a premium experience to Outlook Light unless I make the old client available.  Looking for a single box solution (i.,e., all roles on a single 2008 server instance).
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 1:17 AM

Answers

• Sorry, IE6 will only get the light experience no matter what. CAS 2010 can only open 2010 mailboxes; it cannot connect to 2003 and 2007 mailboxes. The only time CAS2010 will do anything OWA related with 2007 is if the user's mailbox lives in a non-internet facing AD site and only has CAS2007 boxes in that AD site. When this happens the CAS2010 box in the Internet facing AD site will proxy to CAS2007, which in turn opens the 2007 mailbox. In this one particular case you'll have to copy the CAS2007 binaries to the CAS2010 server for this to work.

But... if you're just looking for a way for IE6 people to get premium, no such luck my friend.
    Brian Day / MCSA / CCNA, Exchange/AD geek.
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 2:41 AM

All replies

• Sorry, IE6 will only get the light experience no matter what. CAS 2010 can only open 2010 mailboxes; it cannot connect to 2003 and 2007 mailboxes. The only time CAS2010 will do anything OWA related with 2007 is if the user's mailbox lives in a non-internet facing AD site and only has CAS2007 boxes in that AD site. When this happens the CAS2010 box in the Internet facing AD site will proxy to CAS2007, which in turn opens the 2007 mailbox. In this one particular case you'll have to copy the CAS2007 binaries to the CAS2010 server for this to work.

But... if you're just looking for a way for IE6 people to get premium, no such luck my friend.
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 2:41 AM
  • Many thanks for the clarification.  I am wondering though is it possible to have a CAS 2007 front end point at 2010 mailboxes?  I like 2010 and want to use as much of it as possible but some users will occasionally want to connect using IE6 so looking to provide them with an alternate URL for when they do so.  What I am hearing is no such luck, right? 
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 12:52 PM
  • I am wondering though is it possible to have a CAS 2007 front end point at 2010 mailboxes?  ..... What I am hearing is no such luck, right? 

Correct, CAS2007 cannot open MBX2010. Is IE6 a requirement in your org and you cannot move up? FireFox gets the premium experience if that is of any helpfulness to you.
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 1:36 PM
  • Understood thanks.   Yes IE6 is a current requirement and so will take time to upgrade. 

Also just finding it slightly ironic that in trying to make OWA more accessible, Microsoft might in effect be encouraging some customers to switch away from IE platform to Firefox or Safari... we're less restrictive on alternative browsers just more restrictive on upgrading IE, and it was the shock factor of seeing the same IE browser restricted overnight to a light experience on upgrading to Exchange 2010 that first got me !   
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 3:07 PM
  • Understood thanks.   Yes IE6 is a current requirement and so will take time to upgrade. 

Also just finding it slightly ironic that in trying to make OWA more accessible, Microsoft might in effect be encouraging some customers to switch away from IE platform to Firefox or Safari... we're less restrictive on alternative browsers just more restrictive on upgrading IE, and it was the shock factor of seeing the same IE browser restricted overnight to a light experience on upgrading to Exchange 2010 that first got me !   

With all due respect, IE8 is now out and fully supported as well and going with the N-1 version support is pretty normal. They can only continue putting resources into old versions of software for so long. :) I don't see this pushing a lot of people to Firefox/Safari simply due to IE6 support.
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 8:33 PM