Aspect Ratio RRS feed

• Question

• I have burned a few DVD's using my new DVD Maker program.
    My problem is that when I play the DVD's on my home DVD player and TV, the picture is squeezed, with columns appearing on the top and bottom and also the sides of the screen.  The picture still looks stretched vertically.  The DVD's were burned in 16:9 aspect ratio and NTSC format.

My DVD player has display options that allow me to change the aspect ratio.  They are 4:3 Letterbox, 4:3 Standard, and 16:9 Widescreen.  They all look vertically stretched with 4:3 Letterbox and then Standard being the worst.
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 11:05 PM

All replies

• I have found a solution to the aspect ratio problem with windows 7 dvd maker that works, at least  on my system. First off, you need a freeware program called avirecomp, which can be downloaded from www.avirecomp.com. Now, say you have an avi 608x272. This has an aspect ratio of about 16:7.1 and would therefore display on a 16:9 tv as a 'letterbox' with black bars top and bottom. As other people have found, if you just burn this with dvd maker it expands the image vertically and ruins the original aspect ratio. However, load the file into avirecomp and:      

1. Click on 'additions'
    2. Click on 'settings' just below the black bar icon
    3. Check the 16:9 button (or choose 'custom' and specify the number of pixels)
    4. Click on 'queue' and then 'add to queue'
    5. Click 'start'

The program will now create an avi file with an overall aspect ratio of 16:9 but with the original video sandwiched between black bars top and bottom. Burn this with dvd maker and set your dvd player to 4:3 panscan.

Recompiling the avi takes time - about 30 mins for a 90 minute file, but it works. Hope this helps.

• Proposed as answer by oldguy101 Monday, November 15, 2010 10:08 AM
    Monday, November 15, 2010 10:04 AM