SQL Database on Domain RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Eng.

Pleas i will  Install SQL Server in my Domain Controller ...And users can Access this database on Pcs

how this topi Recommendation In My server 2012 r2

Thanks

Tuesday, March 10, 2015 9:55 AM

Answers

• Your not totally clear on what it is your are asking here. I would say though unless you have a very, very small environment, I would not want to be installing SQL server on a domain controller, in fact I would not installing anything on a domain controller and let it act purely as a domain controller.

SQL Server can be very processor / memory intensive and should be run on it's own hardware. Most programs that require a database will give you an option to use a built in database and I would recommend this route if it is an option.

If your organization is big enough to NEED a SQL server, you should have the finances to purchase a server for this.

• Proposed as answer by Alex Lv Wednesday, March 11, 2015 2:46 AM
    • Marked as answer by Alex Lv Tuesday, March 24, 2015 10:10 AM
    Tuesday, March 10, 2015 12:58 PM
  • Hi khaled lfa,

I agree with MikeeMiracle, additional, It is not recommended to install SQL Server on a domain controller. There are specific security restrictions when running SQL Server in this configuration and given the resource demands of a domain controller, SQL Server performance may be degraded.

Furthermore, SQL Server is not supported on a read-only domain controller. Setup will normally fail. Even if you find methods to work around the problem with setup, SQL Server is not supported on a read-only domain controller. In addition, SQL Server failover clustering is not supported to install on a domain controller.

The related KB:

You may encounter problems when installing SQL Server on a domain controller

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2032911

I’m glad to be of help to you!

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, March 11, 2015 2:48 AM

All replies

• Your not totally clear on what it is your are asking here. I would say though unless you have a very, very small environment, I would not want to be installing SQL server on a domain controller, in fact I would not installing anything on a domain controller and let it act purely as a domain controller.

SQL Server can be very processor / memory intensive and should be run on it's own hardware. Most programs that require a database will give you an option to use a built in database and I would recommend this route if it is an option.

If your organization is big enough to NEED a SQL server, you should have the finances to purchase a server for this.

• Proposed as answer by Alex Lv Wednesday, March 11, 2015 2:46 AM
    Tuesday, March 10, 2015 12:58 PM
  • Hi khaled lfa,

I agree with MikeeMiracle, additional, It is not recommended to install SQL Server on a domain controller. There are specific security restrictions when running SQL Server in this configuration and given the resource demands of a domain controller, SQL Server performance may be degraded.

Furthermore, SQL Server is not supported on a read-only domain controller. Setup will normally fail. Even if you find methods to work around the problem with setup, SQL Server is not supported on a read-only domain controller. In addition, SQL Server failover clustering is not supported to install on a domain controller.

The related KB:

You may encounter problems when installing SQL Server on a domain controller

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2032911

I’m glad to be of help to you!

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, March 11, 2015 2:48 AM