Application Virtualization Streaming Server -- Error 25009.The installation program was unable to start the server service. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am trying to install the Microsoft Application Virtualisation Streaming Server on a Windows 2008 R2 machine and getting the following error:

Application Virtualization Streaming Server -- Error 25009.The installation program was unable to start the server service.

Here is a piece from the log file:

MSI (s) (C4!10) [11:06:59:368]: Product: Microsoft System Center Application Virtualization Streaming Server -- Error 25009.The installation program was unable to start the server service. Please check the server error log for more information.
    SoftGrid Action: SWIDisplayMessage Details: MsiProcessMessage failed. Error: 1
    SoftGrid Action: SWIDisplayMessage : Returning value 0x1.
    SoftGrid Action: SWIDisplayMessage Details: Action ended
    SoftGrid Action: SWIDisplayMessage : Function exited.
    SoftGrid Action: SWIDisplayError : Returning value 0x1.
    SoftGrid Action: SWIDisplayError : Function exited.
    CustomAction SWIServerInstall returned actual error code 1603 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)
    Action ended 11:06:59: InstallExecute. Return value 3.

I have already cheked common error 1603 solutions like turning on short filename creation and cleaning out temp directories.

Anyone has an idea of what is going on?

Thanks.

Koen.

Monday, December 6, 2010 11:24 AM

Answers

• Hello,

I would avoid installing the streaming server on a SCCM 2007 R2 SP2 server (actually I would avoid installing anything else on that server).

Not really sure if its supported or not, but this issue should be enough just to avoid it (SCCM does lots of things to a server)
    /Znack
    • Proposed as answer by znack Thursday, December 9, 2010 9:44 PM
    • Marked as answer by Control Center Systems Friday, February 4, 2011 6:35 PM
    Monday, December 6, 2010 8:13 PM
  • In the end we just re-installed the Windows 2008 server and then installed SCCM SP2 R2 and streaming server 4.5 sp1 without any problems.

Thank you all for your effords in helping me.

Koen.

Friday, February 4, 2011 6:31 PM

All replies

• There should be an event logged in the System event log as well. Does that give you any more detail?
    Monday, December 6, 2010 11:28 AM
  • There are no warning or error loggings in the system event log just an information log that states that a new service is installed. Ofcource, after the MSI rollback, it is no longer there.

A service was installed in the system.
    Service Name: Application Virtualization Streaming Server
    Service File Name: ..\bin\sglwdsptr.exe
    Service Type: user mode service
    Service Start Type: auto start
    Service Account: NT AUTHORITY\NetworkService

Monday, December 6, 2010 11:37 AM
  • Is this a clean server? Do you have any other software on the machine that may be conflicting with the installer or the service? Try stopping your AV/security software before installing.
    Monday, December 6, 2010 12:19 PM
  • I have tried to install it while the AV software was disabled, but the problem remains.

Furthermore there is an installation of SCCM 2007 R2 SP2 on this server. We have a similar setup running on a different machine (same os same software same versions) and on that machine the streaming server software installed without any probems.

Monday, December 6, 2010 2:19 PM
  • Hello,

I would avoid installing the streaming server on a SCCM 2007 R2 SP2 server (actually I would avoid installing anything else on that server).

Not really sure if its supported or not, but this issue should be enough just to avoid it (SCCM does lots of things to a server)
    /Znack
    • Proposed as answer by znack Thursday, December 9, 2010 9:44 PM
    • Marked as answer by Control Center Systems Friday, February 4, 2011 6:35 PM
    Monday, December 6, 2010 8:13 PM
  • Okay,

Well i could try and see if i can get another server license to do that, but in the mean time.. there are 2 servers running in a similar situation (SCCM 2007 R2 sp2 + streaming server 4.5 sp1) without problems. And it seems that the error 1603 is a setup critical error not an app-v error.

And yes SCCM has some prerequisites, but when you say it like that you make it sound SCCM completely messes up a server leaving it unsuitable for other roles.. I have some experience with installing SCCM and i have never had problems installing other roles on the SCCM server. Moving the streaming server 'role' to another server is not really a solution, maybe  a work  around...

Thursday, December 16, 2010 2:23 AM
  • In the end we just re-installed the Windows 2008 server and then installed SCCM SP2 R2 and streaming server 4.5 sp1 without any problems.

Thank you all for your effords in helping me.

Koen.

Friday, February 4, 2011 6:31 PM