SQL MP RRS feed

• Question

• hi there according to one of the blogs i found the following :

SQL MP Optional Configuration

The SQL Server MP does not automatically discover all object types. Go to the Authoring Pane of the Operations console to enable discovering additional components. Components not discovered include:

• SQL Server 2008 Distributor
    • SQL Server 2005 Distributor
    • SQL Server 2008 Publisher
    • SQL Server 2005 Publisher
    • SQL Server 2008 Subscriber
    • SQL Server 2005 Subscriber
    • SQL Server 2008 Subscription
    • SQL Server 2005 Subscription
    • SQL Server 2008 Agent Job
    • SQL Server 2005 Agent Job
    • SQL Server 2000 Agent Job
    • SQL Server 2008 DB File Group
    • SQL Server 2005 DB File Group
    • SQL Server 2008 DB File
    • SQL Server 2005 DB File

This means you will not receive alerts for these objects failing since they are not even discovered objects! For example, if you have scheduled SQL backups using the SQL Agent and the job fails, OpsMgr won't tell you about it. If an agent job failed in MOM 2005, the SQL MP generated an alert. So these behaviors are not necessarily the same between MOM 2005 and OpsMgr 2007.

You can use overrides to change the settings for automatic discovery to enable these object types. Be sure to change your settings in an unsealed MP other than the Default management pack.

the problem is i dont find it !!! , where i can enable those stuff , i already imported the latest SQL MP for 2005/2008 , im using scom 2007 R2

thanks

Sunday, March 21, 2010 9:44 AM

Answers

• Hi,

This is hopw you will do to for example enable discovery of SQL 2008 jobs on all your SQL 2008 machines

Start the OM console

Navigate to authoring workspace

click object discoveries

In the look for box, input jobs and click Find Now

Right-click Discover SQL 2008 Agent Jobs, select Overrides, Override the object discovery, For all objects of class: SQL 2008 Agent

Check Enable and change ocerride value to Enable

Change to your SQL Overrides MP

Click OK

Anders Bengtsson | Microsoft MVP - Operations Manager | http://www.contoso.se
    Sunday, March 21, 2010 10:30 AM

All replies

• Hi,

This is hopw you will do to for example enable discovery of SQL 2008 jobs on all your SQL 2008 machines

Start the OM console

Navigate to authoring workspace

click object discoveries

In the look for box, input jobs and click Find Now

Right-click Discover SQL 2008 Agent Jobs, select Overrides, Override the object discovery, For all objects of class: SQL 2008 Agent

Check Enable and change ocerride value to Enable

Change to your SQL Overrides MP

Click OK

Anders Bengtsson | Microsoft MVP - Operations Manager | http://www.contoso.se
    Sunday, March 21, 2010 10:30 AM
  • i wrote the keyword : jobs and nothing returned !

any idea whats going on :(

Sunday, March 21, 2010 11:31 AM
  • ok found it , forgot to choose all target :D
    Sunday, March 21, 2010 1:32 PM