none
Problem adding new initial workflow stage? site workflow association is to blame? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I am currently in the process of learning how to use project online (cloud version).

At the moment I am a Little stuck with a problem of setup. We have added a new workflow stage as the first stage. However when I add a new project for testing, it still defaults to the old initial stage (our old stage was 1. Idea, now we want a new one before that called 0. Pipeline). Furthermore, I can see and force a skip to this 0.Pipeline using change or restart workflow, but the listing of projects and the listing of stages listed on the first project detail page when I open a project does not show the new 0. pipeline.

I went to projecttypes (rough translation) and saw a field called "site workflow association" with a value that I can't trace anywhere. Do any of you know where the options inside "site workflow association" come from? I am suspecting this of being behind my problems.

• Edited by Hardmech Tuesday, August 15, 2017 2:15 PM
    Tuesday, August 15, 2017 1:19 PM

Answers

• The stages are specified in the workflow that is attached to the specific project type

if you added a new workflow stage, you need to update the workflow to include that stage.

To edit the workflow, you will need to open it in SharePoint deisgner.

here are some more details: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/jj163494.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Cheers,

Prasanna Adavi, Project MVP

Blog:   Podcast:    Twitter:    LinkedIn:   

• Marked as answer by Hardmech Wednesday, August 16, 2017 8:56 AM
    Tuesday, August 15, 2017 3:42 PM

All replies

• The stages are specified in the workflow that is attached to the specific project type

if you added a new workflow stage, you need to update the workflow to include that stage.

To edit the workflow, you will need to open it in SharePoint deisgner.

here are some more details: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/jj163494.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Cheers,

• Marked as answer by Hardmech Wednesday, August 16, 2017 8:56 AM
    Tuesday, August 15, 2017 3:42 PM
  • Thank you! I now have Sharepoint designer and I can see the workflow that I want to edit. I just want to adda new stage at the beginning. Does this workflow setup only affect the transitions? Is a project assigned to a stage defined in project online or in the workflow. Like if I hypothetically removed the workflow. Would all projects stay at their current stages until a new workflow that included their stage was created?
    • Edited by Hardmech Wednesday, August 16, 2017 8:56 AM
    Wednesday, August 16, 2017 8:55 AM
  • 1) Any changes you make to the workflow are only applicable to the projects created after making the change. To make the changes applicable to existing projects, you will need to restart the workflow for those projects.

2) The workflow stages defined in project online are the building blocks for designing the workflow. They by themselves do not do anything to the projects. It is the workflow that determines how project moves from one stage to another.

3) If you remove the workflow, the already created projects will just continue to finish the workflow they were created with, and your new projects will not have any new workflow

And finally, for your change, here is what I would suggest:

1) Add the nw stage into the workflow and publish. This will overwrite the existing workflow, and apply to all new projects

2) Determine if any of the existing projects will need to carry this stage (for example, a project already in execution may not need to be sent back to planning, whereas the project in Idea, may need to be put back in pipeline). Restart the workflow for those projects.

Cheers,

Wednesday, August 16, 2017 1:17 PM