Window Server 2012 R2 updates issue RRS feed

• Question

• I forcefully stopped the windows update from past 1 year by Checking this Option "Never Check for Updates". But 4 days before "the server restarted by the windows update issue on 24/11/2018 and started the roll back process for the installed update due to installation problem". My Question is that i stopped the updates forcefully then why server automatically downloaded the updates and installed and automatically restarts without generating any notification. Tell me if i check "Never Check for updates" option then after how many days or months or years it will automatically update its updates. I did not find answer of this question anywhere kindly tell about this.

Wednesday, November 28, 2018 12:21 PM

All replies

• Hello,

When you select "never check for updates", it means you disable the Auto Update. But the update behavior still can be triggered by action or command/script.

Is your client in a domain? Is WSUS used for managing the update? We could troubleshoot from the Group Policies and windowsupdate.log. The Group Policies would tell us the current policy for updating and the log would tell us how the behavior is triggered and where the updates are taken from. You could upload the GP result and log to Onedrive and paste the link here.

However, if you want to totally prevent the client from being patched, you could remove the WSUS server (if have) from policy and enable the policy: Do not connect to any Windows Update Internet locations.

Hope my answer could help you and look forward to your feedback.

Best Regards,
    Ray

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 29, 2018 6:06 AM