none
Reverse engineering linkages RRS feed

• Question

• I have to create two new subtasks to an existing summary task. The two subtasks, subtask A takes 2 days and subtask B takes 5 days. Both subtasks A&B will be inserted prior to the current subtasks, but cannot impact the current subtasks start and end dates. Essentially I have to reverse engineer the two new subtasks without impacting the current schedule. Adding the two new subtasks will affect the Start Date of the overall Summary Task and that's okay. FYI These are future tasks. I was wondering if I can add the two new subtasks without using hard constraints. 
    Tuesday, January 30, 2018 3:55 PM

Answers

• jim2018,

If the two new subtasks are "future tasks" then the existing subtasks must also be "future tasks", but that's just an observation and not rrelevant to the question.

There are various ways to do this depending on how the existing and new tasks are related but let's assume we start with the following plan

Now we can add the two new tasks using a start-to-finish relationship as follows. Note, you may get a scheduling alert that says making this change will cause the new tasks to start before the Project start date and that's okay. Also note that this is still a dynamic plan with no constraints.

Hope this helps.

John

• Edited by John - Project Tuesday, January 30, 2018 5:02 PM more
    • Marked as answer by Jim2018 Tuesday, January 30, 2018 6:10 PM
    Tuesday, January 30, 2018 5:00 PM

All replies

• jim2018,

If the two new subtasks are "future tasks" then the existing subtasks must also be "future tasks", but that's just an observation and not rrelevant to the question.

There are various ways to do this depending on how the existing and new tasks are related but let's assume we start with the following plan

Now we can add the two new tasks using a start-to-finish relationship as follows. Note, you may get a scheduling alert that says making this change will cause the new tasks to start before the Project start date and that's okay. Also note that this is still a dynamic plan with no constraints.

Hope this helps.

John

• Edited by John - Project Tuesday, January 30, 2018 5:02 PM more
    • Marked as answer by Jim2018 Tuesday, January 30, 2018 6:10 PM
    Tuesday, January 30, 2018 5:00 PM
  • Thank you John, much appreciated!
    Tuesday, January 30, 2018 6:10 PM
  • Jim2018,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

John

Tuesday, January 30, 2018 7:40 PM